Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
It burns!

We need Reducto to aim his reducing ray at Shimano's XTR 10 speed rear end and set it to reduce quantity by 20%.

Will I need a 10 speed chainwhip? Imbicile maketing managers at Shimano. What I want is an XTR level Nexus 8 speed hub that can take a disc brake. Cut the fat from that thing with Ti ring and planet gears.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Great it's all we need....

Maybe a 2 x10 system might work, but seems like 7 and 8 spds were fine.
The Carbon and Ti bits would be nice espically if carries over to Dura-Ace.

Rumours are already circulating that Shimano's XTR mountain bike group will have lots of carbon and titanium for 2007 and that will inevitably lead to a revamped, lighter Dura-Ace in 2008. Da Rin says Campagnolo will be ready for the challenge.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/features/campagnolo_future

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Just posting where the info came from...

that Mr Scary Posted about.

Is there something wrong????

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Back to the future...

Didier Carpentier said:
read in a french magazine (and does make sense really), anyone got news yet?

And SRAM to introduce their new "retro" high-end 8 speed group (dubbed X-8) for those who actually ride their mtbs off-road. :rolleyes:

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
fanghasyou said:
When will the gear race end??
When it stops selling. I'd like a nice light 6 speed cassette myself. 6 and 7 speed stuff shited so well and didn't foul up in wet weather so easily.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cannot agree more on internal hub

long_strange_ride said:
We need Reducto to aim his reducing ray at Shimano's XTR 10 speed rear end and set it to reduce quantity by 20%.

Will I need a 10 speed chainwhip? Imbicile maketing managers at Shimano. What I want is an XTR level Nexus 8 speed hub that can take a disc brake. Cut the fat from that thing with Ti ring and planet gears.

I also think for over 10 years that the future is the internal, as ROLLOFF has designed and produced for a long while now.
but it seems that too many issue remain like too much friction, weight...
It is time that SHIMANO the biggest bicycle component company come up with a NEXUS XTR, a system like the ROLLOFF but without all the above problems.
I spoke with Shimano technicien at the eurobike about it, but nothin' on that path yet...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
shimano holds a patent

for a 14 speed cogset, so it may not be over yet. doesn't mean they will
go to it, but they have it.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
With the upcoming of 29"ers and the realisation that 450mm chainstays are just fine, it may become easier to make frames with much wider rear dropout spacing (165mm?) and use it in part to wider cassette bodies to fit 11 or 12 speed easily. By also spacing flanges wider apart, wheels will gain in stiffness and strength as well.

Personally, I'd rather have such a 165mm wide rear hub with wider spaced flanges and the same or narrower cassette body. 7/8spd spaced cogs, 5 or 6 of them, still with an 11-34 or even 11-38 range. Rear derailers with less lateral and more vertical swing to match. ESP 1:1 ratio makes sense, but then it does for road use too.

Most fun thing about the Shimano 14spd design to me is that the chain for it will probably be much lighter, with alternating outer links left and right, not in pairs like is the world standard now. They came up with this to make the chain narrower I think.

·
Registered
796 Posts
What do you guys mean by bogus? It's just a picture of some shifters that were modified and repainted...

Is someone claiming these are 2007 XTR? :confused:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
XTR SL it says. If it's true, then it's really nice. But please not 10spd!

Also, check out the road cable disc brakes. Actually not toally unattractive. Opens up possibilities for dirt drop bar MTB's that use road STI's.
Is the disc brake ban on road&CX bike now totally lifted by the UCI?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts