Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to convert my mechanical 2x11 XTR M9000 to 1x12 XTR M9100.

The shifter, RD, chain and cable should be simple but I have questions re the cassette and crankset.

-Is it possible to install the XTR 12spd 10-51 cassette onto my 2016 DT Swiss XMC-1200 /Boost148 rear hub by purchasing a new freehub or does the wheel need to be relaced with a new hub?

-I have the M9000 XTR HOLLOWTECH II XC MTB Crankset 2x11 34/24T. Is there a single chainring I can buy that will mount on this spider and have the correct spacing for the new 12spd chain? Ideally I want to use a 32T ring with the 10-51 cassette.

Thanks

·
since 4/10/2009
34,575 Posts
I would like to convert my mechanical 2x11 XTR M9000 to 1x12 XTR M9100.

The shifter, RD, chain and cable should be simple but I have questions re the cassette and crankset.

-Is it possible to install the XTR 12spd 10-51 cassette onto my 2017 DT Swiss XMC-1200 /Boost148 rear hub by purchasing a new freehub or does the wheel need to be relaced with a new hub?

-I have the M9000 XTR HOLLOWTECH II XC MTB Crankset 2x11 34/24T. Is there a single chainring I can buy that will mount on this spider and have the correct spacing for the new 12spd chain? Ideally I want to use a 32T ring with the 10-51 cassette.

Thanks
Wolftooth has what you need.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/shimano-12spd-hyperglide-compatible-chainrings

I'm not sure what's different about the M9000 chainrings vs the M8000/M7000 chainrings to warrant different listings...but anyway, there you have it.

And for your wheels, you should be able to fit it all by getting the new freehub body.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
^^^all that plus the MICRO SPLINE freehub, DT makes one for new Shimano 12 spd

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Any issues with chain line when using my M9000 2x crankset converted to 1x with the 32T Wolf Tooth 96 mm BCD Chainring for Shimano XTR M9000 and M9020 for Shimano 12spd Hyperglide+ Chain ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
You should be fine. I have been running a similar setup with my M9020 crankset for months. I don't believe the chainline was different between the two cranks, just the Q factor. Be careful sourcing the DT MicroSpline freehub. I and others have had to modify the easily available one to fit on either Roval or slightly older DT Swiss 240 hubs (not just the 240). Somebody on one of the other threads contacted DT directly and got something different for his DT wheelset.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should be fine. I have been running a similar setup with my M9020 crankset for months. I don't believe the chainline was different between the two cranks, just the Q factor.

Be careful sourcing the DT MicroSpline freehub. I and others have had to modify the easily available one to fit on either Roval or slightly older DT Swiss 240 hubs (not just the 240). Somebody on one of the other threads contacted DT directly and got something different for his DT wheelset.
Thank for the tips. My 2016 DT Swiss XMC-1200 are the original narrower 24mm I.D. version which I believe have 240 S hubs. What kind of modification was needed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.