Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm wondering about this too....XTR11 shifter, XTR11 Rmech, XX1 cassette - you get a bigger range, the cassette is 70g lighter, clears mud better and should last longer.

I think the sprocket spacing is the same on both systems, so the questions would be:

1) Can the XTR11 rear mech go far enough out to line up with the 10T XX1 sprocket?

2) Can it cope with the extra 2 teeth over an 11-40 XTR cassette?

Looks like the release of M9000 has been delayed until mid-Oct so we probably won't find out until then.
See First Impressions: Shimano XTR Di2 & Mechanical Mountain Bike Groups for Damie's report - he uses Ultegra Di2 11sp mech with X01 cassette.

As far as your questions go:
1) I believe the size difference between 10 and 11 cogs is negligable - and even if it was bigger, on high gears the chain is loose, so even if the cage was further, this shouldnt be an issue (if my understanding is correct)

2) See all the manufacturers of 42t cog extensions (Wolf, OneUp, General Lee) - thy all claim 42t works fine with most of the shifters (on 50% of Shimano models you need a longer B-screw). So i would assume XTR would not be any different - if road XTR works, trail XTR should probably too).

Anyways thats the option i am most likely going to try. I am also tempted by 10 speed 42t cassette, but the smallest cog would be 11t only - so this would reduce the range of the drivetrain even more.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
10t does in fact lose a lot of efficiency to friction compared to 11t (and 11t is poor compared to 12t).

But for most mtb riders, the 10t will typically be used in lighter pedaling situations (slight downhills, etc.) where wind resistance and other factors will likely trump this issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
@kosmo - yes, i am aware - but i am not a racer, my most frequent rides is steep trails up, then nice trail/gravel dovn ..
i dont even remember when was it last time i used 44t ring on my old bike, 34x11 was also very rare.
I want to have 10T as kind of a minimal improvement (5kmh delta at cadence 150) for rare cases of road descent. I would survive with 11t, but if there is a better option, then i want to try it. Worst case it will cost me some money (sell XX1, get shimano freehub).

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
^^^ Agreed, and sorry for the derail. I'm with you, in that I'd like Shimano shifter/derailleur/chain paired with the 10/42 gearing of the SRAM cassette.

In fact, when the first XTR bike shows up at my LBS in October, there are about 5 of us waiting to slap a XX1 equipped rear wheel into it and see how it shifts!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Btw - on the tangent - i realize Shimano could never bring cassette with 10t cog, as this would not fit into the current hyperglide freehubs. The only option seems to be using DR (hell would freeze first) - or they would introduce their own system.
I can rather imagine they would go for larger cogs on the opposite side to compensate.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Here's a crazy idea...
Has anyone looked at a different diameter pulley for the XX1/X01 to get a different cable pull ratio so the rear mech would work w/ a 10spd Shimano shifter? Seems like a pretty low hanging fruit, or am I missing something?

Edit: rethunk this...not nearly so simple.

·
Registered
977 Posts
So far nobody has given a measurement that I've seen for either Shimano or Sram 11 speed MTB cassette spacing, so IMHO it's all hearsay and wild surmise so far.

What we do know:
1. All the road 11 speed systems use the same sprocket spacing, and wheels can be interchanged
2. Sram 10 speed road and MTB derailleurs use the same cable pull, but XX1 is different, and not compatible; I have no idea if 11 speed Sram road stuff is compatible in any way with their 10 speed road stuff
3. Shimano 10 and 11 speed road cable pull is significantly different and RDs cannot be interchanged
4. Shimano 10 speed road and MTB cassettes use the same spacing, but the cable pull for road and MTB 10 speed derailleurs is incompatible
5. Rumour has it that XX1 works okay with 10 speed rear wheels, implying it uses 10 speed spacing, but with an extra cog cantilevered out over the spokes
6. XTR 11 speed cassettes fit on 8/9/10 speed bodies, but cog spacing is unknown as yet. I'm hoping it's the same as 11 speed road, and that cable pull for Shimano 11 speed road and MTB is the same - unlikely!

Until we can measure and/or play with these things the only option is baseless speculation... :nono:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm less concerned with 40T vs 42T. What I want to know is, if I buy xtr cassette, shifter and derailleur, can I use existing xt 2x10 crank arms and what chain ring would I need to go 1x11. Also, will sram X11 X01 cranks be compatible with xtr? I read earlier in this thread xtr 1x11 may use 10 speed chain so that might effect crank and chainring options?

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm very happy to hear the spacing is the same. I also love the range and gear ratios provided by the XX1/XO1 cassette, but I MUCH prefer my previous XTR shifter and derailleur vs my current XO1. I have messed around with my shifter setup constantly since getting the XO1 group, and I just can't get it to feel as natural and comfortable as my previous XTR M980 shifter. I even thought about trying to modify the thumb lever on the XO1 shifter to allow easier access to the downshift lever. Now that it seems to be confirmed that the two systems are compatible as soon as I can get my hands on the new XTR bits the XO1 shifter and rear derailleur are coming off.

21 - 40 of 376 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.