Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
WAWE
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No 10-42t makes XTR M9000 a loser for me.

Okay, Shimano doesn't really understand 1x yet.
Or perhaps they do but are too stubborn to suck it up and follow SRAM.

Fine, whateverz.

Aaaanyways, I highly prefer Shimano shifters and derailleurs.... what are the chances XTR 11-speed cassettes will have the same cog spacing as XX1?

XTR derailleur/shifter + X01 cogs (because they are bad ass black)

Will it work?
Let's start speculation yapping and rumor mongering.

·
WAWE
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fake Rumor #1 - Mechanical XTR M9000 will not be be compatible with XX1 cogs but M9000 Di2 will be reprogrammable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
And does a xx1 derailleur works with the xtr 11 speed cassett?

·
COTA member
971 Posts
I have ordered XTR M9000 for my Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper HT. I will run a Wolftooth 34T chain ring and the M9000 11T - 40T cassette. All the range I need for Central Oregon trails. I like how the cassette will fit on my existing hub.

FWIW I have been using XTR 1x10 with a 32T chainring and a 11T - 36T cassette w/o any problems. The 11 speed will just give a larger range with no downside.

·
NedwannaB
12,760 Posts
Question

I have ordered XTR M9000 for my Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper HT. I will run a Wolftooth 34T chain ring and the M9000 11T - 40T cassette. All the range I need for Central Oregon trails. I like how the cassette will fit on my existing hub.

FWIW I have been using XTR 1x10 with a 32T chainring and a 11T - 36T cassette w/o any problems. The 11 speed will just give a larger range with no downside.
So doesn't require an XD type driver? Any idea if a DT 240 will accept the cassette?

·
WAWE
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So doesn't require an XD type driver? Any idea if a DT 240 will accept the cassette?
XTR M9000 does not need a new cassette driver.... advantage is no hub changes needed.

XD driver (XX1/X01) is available for DT240.... advantage is 10t cog.

·
SRAM...Shimano who cares?
98 Posts
I was asking a similar question myself….I wonder if you could use a XO (10 sp), XO1 shifter and an XTR cassette? I was wondering because I foresee a XT 40-11 cassette sooner than a 1170 type.

There just is not much room for things to go once you'e gotten to 11 speeds and we know that an XO (10 sp) will handle 40t like a champ. 11sp SRAM, Shimano and Campy work just fine right?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm wondering about this too....XTR11 shifter, XTR11 Rmech, XX1 cassette - you get a bigger range, the cassette is 70g lighter, clears mud better and should last longer.

I think the sprocket spacing is the same on both systems, so the questions would be:

1) Can the XTR11 rear mech go far enough out to line up with the 10T XX1 sprocket?

2) Can it cope with the extra 2 teeth over an 11-40 XTR cassette?

Looks like the release of M9000 has been delayed until mid-Oct so we probably won't find out until then.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I'm wondering about this too....XTR11 shifter, XTR11 Rmech, XX1 cassette - you get a bigger range, the cassette is 70g lighter, clears mud better and should last longer.

I think the sprocket spacing is the same on both systems, so the questions would be:

1) Can the XTR11 rear mech go far enough out to line up with the 10T XX1 sprocket?

2) Can it cope with the extra 2 teeth over an 11-40 XTR cassette?

Looks like the release of M9000 has been delayed until mid-Oct so we probably won't find out until then.
i read somewhere that the 11sp shimano has the same spacing as a 10sp and uses a 10 sp chain. The 11th cog is dished 2mm over towards the spokes to make it fit. Sram 11 sp uses a narrower spacing/chain than 10sp.

10t? Shimano Capreo / Canfield Microdrive and that Leonardi cassette went down to 9t.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
^ There are reasons why Sram onky went to 10, as friction really becomes apparent once you get smaller than 10.....well, below 11 really but the increase was too much after 10. This is something trackies know a lot about, and goes into the cog choices for front and back. They try and put something no smaller than a 14 on the back if possible.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
^ There are reasons why Sram onky went to 10, as friction really becomes apparent once you get smaller than 10.....well, below 11 really but the increase was too much after 10. This is something trackies know a lot about, and goes into the cog choices for front and back. They try and put something no smaller than a 14 on the back if possible.
According to the Bike radar article the 9t caused a polygon effect, pulsing at the pedals. Even the 10t supposedly needed a special cut to the teeth to mitigate the feeling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i read somewhere that the 11sp shimano has the same spacing as a 10sp and uses a 10 sp chain. The 11th cog is dished 2mm over towards the spokes to make it fit. Sram 11 sp uses a narrower spacing/chain than 10sp.

10t? Shimano Capreo / Canfield Microdrive and that Leonardi cassette went down to 9t.
As i understand it (based on explanation that it is possible because at higher diameters spokes are further away from the freehub) - the 11sp Shimano is wider than 10sp but fits 10sp freehub - i.e. the 11th cog sits "above" the end of the freehub, but sprocket spacing wise - they are different to 10sp.
Also - i found at least one report that Ultegra Di2 derailleur works with X01 cassette just fine - which would indicate spacing of 1sp Shimano matches SRAM

1 - 20 of 376 Posts