Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
FWIW, and just to make this thread more confusing,

Recently installed one of the 11spd SRAM 11-36t cassettes on a customers bike with an ultegra 6800 group (GS/mid cage RD) and it worked no problem, didn't even have to max out the B screw and could cross chain with out issue (he uses a standard 50-34 up front).

Granted this was on a custom Falconer steel CX/gravel bike with a reasonably long RD hanger so not saying it will work in every situation, but it will sometimes at least.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Also regarding SRAM RD's, seen a 10 spd RED RD matched with 11spd road shifters with no issues, and SRAM's marketing says CX1 RD's work for 10 or 11 as well, so while maybe not official, compatibility doesn't seem to be as big a deal as with shimano stuff.

·
Registered
197 Posts
2. The Shimano 11sp road shifter will work with a Shimano road 10sp rear derailleur (on an 11sp cass).

3. And since the 9sp Shimano XT m770/772 rear deraillers are 10sp road shifter compatible, then it should (in theory) work with an 11sp Shimano road shifter as well.
2. is incorrect. The cable pull changed when Shimano went to 11-speed.
3. is also incorrect by extension.

·
just some guy
533 Posts
All of the SRAM stuff that is Exact Actuation™ is compatible regardless of wether they have it marked as 10 or 11 speed, road or mountain. The mountain rear derailleurs don't have a barrel adjuster on them, though. The only limitations are the obvious ones; road derailleurs can only handle a cog set of a certain size, etc. The 'X Actuation' gear such as XX1, X01, etc have a different cable pull and are not compatible with anything else.

·
just some guy
533 Posts
XX1 modified to Exact Actuation?

All of the SRAM stuff that is Exact Actuation™ is compatible regardless of whether they have it marked as 10 or 11 speed, road or mountain... The 'X Actuation' gear such as XX1, X01, etc have a different cable pull and are not compatible with anything else.
Hot off the press! Boo cycles claims at NAHBS that: "Another cool thing they figured out with this build was that you can hack XX1 rear derailleurs to work with CX1 drop bar shifters. Nick wanted the wider gear range for the Crusher in the Tushar, where there are bigger climbs, but the CX1 rear derailleur won't clear the larger cogs on an XX1 cassette. But, the XX1 derailleur's movement didn't jibe with the CX1 shifters…until they found you could determine the pull ratio by putting the CX1's derailleur cable loop and mounting it on an XX1 rear derailleur. By swapping that piece (the black plastic bit that the cable wraps around between the adjustment bezel and the derailleur's pinch bolt), you get the XX1′s bigger pulley offsets with CX1 shifter compatibility." Very intriguing - can you just replace that one part in the back and make an XX1 rear mech work with Exact Actuation shifters? Too cool!

Boo writes further: "...it's the piece that the RD cable threads around and is bolted to. This is not a barrel adjuster, it is literally where the RD cable bolts to the RD--that curved piece of plastic is interchangeable between SRAM derailleurs and we will pull the CX1 piece off and attach to an XX1 RD for Crusher and other hilly Colorado riding."

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is this possible? One of the Shimano reps gave a "maybe", but haven't found any confirmation:
Can I use the XTR M9000 cassette on my 11-speed road setup?

I am late on this but I am running:

SRAM 46/34 double; 1170 (11-36) cassette modified to 13-42T with a Wolf tooth 42T; Rival brifters; Force Yaw FD and XO rear der. I have a spacer on an 11 speed hub. The Wolf tooth guy was surprised that it worked but it does fine on a gravel/cx bike (I have a few viscous hills in and out of my neighborhood). See the Wolf tooth discussion.

Mike

·
Bad cat!
357 Posts
FWIW, and just to make this thread more confusing,

Recently installed one of the 11spd SRAM 11-36t cassettes on a customers bike with an ultegra 6800 group (GS/mid cage RD) and it worked no problem, didn't even have to max out the B screw and could cross chain with out issue (he uses a standard 50-34 up front).

Granted this was on a custom Falconer steel CX/gravel bike with a reasonably long RD hanger so not saying it will work in every situation, but it will sometimes at least.
Thanks for that (sent you some rep). Planning to use my Crux (ultegra 6800) for singletrack and steep forest service road exploring this summer, and just switching out the cassette would be the easiest way to pick up a pretty low gear, and an easy swap back for racing in the fall...

·
Registered
11 Posts
SRAM GX 2x11

Update - All of the above Specialized AWOL 11-40 tinkering is now less interesting w the release of SRAM GX 2x11 10-42 cassette. I'll probably switch to Rival hydraulic brifters. And again I plan to push my T limit luck with a 28/42 (Rotor Q ring), but SRAM specs a 12T difference crank, so 14T probably will work. Q rings further push the system about +2T. However, on paper it's less stupid than what I'm already riding and if it works, it will reduce an already low gear by ~10% (knee says thank you) and high by ~1%, so what the heck, GX ASAP. Let ya know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Incorrect

Unfortunately SRAM 11 speed road is also incompatible with mountain derailleurs. The manufacturers are making it much harder to mix and match these days! I just put hydraulic discs on my Dirty Disco, and since I am using an X0 type 2 rear derailleur, I had to stay with 10 speed S-700 shifters.
That is incorrect. Sram road 11 speed has a cable pull of 3.1 and a RD ratio of 1.3, that is true of Sram 10 speed road or MTB. You should have no issues running Sram 11 speed road shifters with a 10 speed RD.

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-force-1-rear-derailleur

·
Registered
8 Posts
XT M8000 + Sram road 22?

Want to go single chainring on my CX (Trek Crockett frame).
Save version is 1x10: Sram 10s brifters, Sram X.9 Type2 rear d., XT 11-36 cassette and NW 38t chainring.
But I've realized that I can use the new 11s M8000 XT cassette 11-40, which could provide with 40t chainring wider range than 38/11-36 (both low and high gears).
So now comes the question:
Can I use Sram road 22 brifters / Sram 10s RD (both EXACT ACTUATION so will work together) + Shimano mountain 11s cassette? Is the cog pitch the same on mountain and road cassettes?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Short answer, yes.
I was running Rival 22 shifters, x9 typ2 RD with a Shimano XT 11-36 11sp cassette on my last CX bike.. The only issue was getting into the 36 sometimes took a couple tries.. The RD was COMPLETELY maxed out in the 36.. The parallelogram simply could not move any farther inboard.. Infact I even put a 1mm spacer on the freehub body before the cassette to slightly improve the shift up to the 11th cog..

Edit: come to think about it I was running an ultegra cassette not an XT..

Maybe this will help?
http://blog.artscyclery.com/science...ce-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

·
Registered
792 Posts
Can I use Sram road 22 brifters / Sram 10s RD (both EXACT ACTUATION so will work together) + Shimano mountain 11s cassette? Is the cog pitch the same on mountain and road cassettes?
YES!

The SRAM 10 speed RD will definitely work with 11s (22) SRAM shifters.

ALL 11speed cassettes are interchangeable with all 11speed shifters. SRAM or Shimano will shift any 11speed cassette. Mountain/Road, SRAM/Shimano all have the same cassette spacing. I have used SRAM XX1 to shift 11s Shimano cassettes and vice versa. NO problem at all.

You must match (SRAM/Shimano) the shifters/derailleurs. You also need to make sure your RD can handle the cassette you're using.

Freehub bodies are also an issue and can be confusing as well.
-11s MTB cassettes will fit on ANY 10/11 speed freehub (road AND mtb).
-11s ROAD cassettes will ONLY fit on 11s ROAD freehubs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you guys for confirmation.
I've read the theory on artcyclery but wanted to get some real world experience. I'm still considering the cheaper 1x10 38t/11-36 or more expensive but also wider range so more useful 1x11 38(40)/11-40.

·
Registered
50 Posts
^ That is cool. I think the 10sp RD has to be "Dynasys" to work with the 11sp road shifters.
Any shifting issues?
May I ask what chain/crankset/chainrings you are running? Is that a 2x11 setup? Cross bike?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I also like the concept of the single crank and have read that it is gaining in popularity for a bunch of reasons. I was deciding to upgrade by Cannondale CX in order to get a bike with disc brakes and internal cable routing when I encountered the single crank models. The more I read the more I thought as being the perfect candidate for such a bike.
I am an older rider who usually rides on asphalt and usually never exceed 22 mph or so. I could ride for days and never come out of my smaller chainring and it is only a 10 speed. The only thing missing on my current bike would be one lower gear for climbing and with the new single crank, I will be slightly lower.

I was determined to purchase a new bank with a 1x, so I passed up the Niner RLT and went for a Kona, Private Jake, sight unseen and hopefully I will love it. I should have it within another week or so.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.