Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling with the Shimano pins as I like the ability to remove a chain and clean it on a relatively regular basis. I bought a Sram 10 speed quick link but unlike its 9 speed siblings this one is not compatible with the Shimano chain. Would a Sram 10 speed chain work with my Shimano gears or are there other options I am unaware of?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I use SRAM 10 spd quick links and shimano chains on all my rides.

What did you find not compatible?
You do need some channel locks or pliers to open the link, but that is normal for 10 spd link.

Shiamano is a far superior chain compared to SRAM. A SRAM employee told a team mechanic buddy of mine that their 10 speed chains should be replaced every 20 hrs! That's quality!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi AR, thanks for the response..

The SRAM quick links work great on my 9 speed rigs, but this feels like even if I manage to get it to close it's gonna be so tight and cause a sticky link. It's a new xtr chain, and a black link, happy to apply some brute force but it "does not feel right"

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Qcamel said:
Hi AR, thanks for the response..

The SRAM quick links work great on my 9 speed rigs, but this feels like even if I manage to get it to close it's gonna be so tight and cause a sticky link. It's a new xtr chain, and a black link, happy to apply some brute force but it "does not feel right"

Any thoughts?
Should be okay, Shimano chains are a bit (like 0.08mm) narrower than SRAM. If anything it should be looser.

Once you snap it closed w/ the cranks (as in put it on, back pedal so link is in top section of chain between cranks & cassette, stand on pedals until you hear it snap), it should be loose.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
leachy_9 said:
I run a Wipperman 10 speed link on my XTR 10 speed chain. Works great and very easy to remove.

Leachy
I've also gone this route. Works fine for me, too. I'm using this combo on a coupled frame and I'll be taking the chain off every time I pack, so I wanted the link to be easy to remove without tools.

Park makes a tool for removing the SRAM quick links and it's hard if not impossible to remove the 10 speed links without it or something similar: http://www.parktool.com/product/master-link-pliers. SRAM's literature says the links are permanent, but with these pliers I've had no problem reusing the links many times.

9 and 8 speed links are removable without tools, but the 10 speed ones are different.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks all for your advice. Ended up with a Shimano chain, KMC link fitted by applying pressure to the cranknand a pair of Park Tool pliers on order for removal... Bike now built and under the '11 flux section...

Cheers all, Ollie

·
Registered
962 Posts
running a KMC x93 10 speed chain with a sram link on a shimano 10 speed cassette with old school 5 bolt chain rings. Works great
nice to have some chainrings with the proper size for 29er riders, 50 plus.
to bad sram and shimano are way off the mark on the chainring sizes for the majority
of riders.
running 20,30,38 with a 11-36 on the back. works great for high altitude and long days
in the saddle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.