Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone share any knowledge about what the MTB course is like at the XTERRA Tahoe City race in late June? I'm planning to take my Superfly but I'm not sure what tires to run. In the quiver right now:

1.8 Spec Renegade (narrow but I love it)
2.0 Bontrager 29-0 (really light and wispy tread, smaller than 2")
2.1 Maxxis Ignitor (good all-round)
2.0 Spec Captain S-Works (another good all-round, slightly bigger than Ignitor I think)

I also I have a HiFi but I doubt I need full suspension for this, right?

Also, thanks in advance for tolerating a thread on a race that involves a little running and swimming. In my defense, the bike leg of the race takes more time than the run and swim combined, and I'm a 20 yr veteran of MTBing who's only mildly tri-curious. :p

Alex

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tires for the XTERRA Tahoe City mountain bike course

Hey Alex,
We asked the crew at Tahoe Mountain Guides to chime in since they've been riding the trails hard all spring. Here's what they said -

"To play it safe the Maxxis Ignitor is a great tire to roll with. Since the trails are getting some good use due to the lack of snow, there could be a combination of conditions riders will encounter: firm to hard, soft to loose duff and corners that have been skidded through and rutted. However, if we get rain, the trails could remain tacky like they were this past weekend; except for those rutted out corners."

You can check them out here if you need more info - TahoeMountainGuides.com

Good luck in the XTERRA and remember we're offering a Duathlon this year on the same day. So if you don't want to swim you don't have to.

Hope that helps!

- Big Blue Adventure

1 - 2 of 2 Posts