Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what percentages most of you guys/gals split up between the s/b/r portions.

I am currently swimming and running 25% of my time for each, so biking takes up half of my weekly minutes, but I'm considering going over that once I hit 3 hours each running and swimming (getting a good couple of weeks at the 7-8 hour range after the time change).

Do you all spend a greater percentage on the bike? what about total weekly volume?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
This year I'm really trying to keep it simple: bike and run on alternating days. During the week it's about an hour per session, I've been doing mainly rollers/trainer for the bike (that will change when the days get longer and weather gets warmer), runs have been pretty much E-pace runs, rolling hills, nothing special. On the weekend I try to get in at least one longer ride, usually mountain bike but happy to do road bike, depending. I'm really trying to focus on the practice of running and mountain biking, having good form, avoiding injury, enjoying the sessions, etc.

I try to get to the pool once or twice a week, and swim about 30-45min per session. Nothing fancy, mostly long easy freestyle, keeping the muscles and tendons reasonably strong.

If I feel the legs need a rest I'll take a day off and just swim or do nothing.

Over the next few months I want to start ramping up the distance of my weekend long ride and run, I'd like to build up to about a 4-hour ride and 2-hour run. As events get closer I'll get more specific, with a bit more (and faster) swimming, hill runs, bricks, etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts
right now i am running 3 days, riding 3 days, and swimming two days. i take mondays off, and i try to work my swims around my rides/runs. i am riding the trainer for around an hour, nothing too strenuous. my runs are 2 30 minute runs during the week and one 45 minute to an hour run on the weekend. i am trying to run outside, but because of the weather i have been running a lot inside on the treadmill. it has been super cold and now it has warmed up, but it is raining nonstop. it will be awhile before i can train on the trails.

·
The Missing
379 Posts
My best season in Xterra I was on the road doing century rides every other weekend. I was running during the week 3-4 times. I thought a lot about swimming and that was about it for that. That year I ran some of the fastest if not the fastest run splits. My cycling off road was still coming together but the road riding helped with the endurance. Swimming has always been neglected.

This upcoming season will be my fifth year. I plan to hit the bike hard again on the road and resume some intense 15K runs regularly. I will think a lot about swimming but never actually do any :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm riding twice per week nothing too strenuous with one long ride on the weekend (about an hour and a half depending on how I feel) and fitting in more strength training excercises. Running three times a week at an easy E1-E2 (up to zone 2 of LTHR), with a long weekend run (about an hour). I swim twice per week 30-45 min.

Closer to race season I plan increasing intensity and working in more hill and intervals. I generally train strictly off-road being that I have easy access to trails and that's where i enjoy training the most.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ouch is right.. I'm still trying to figure out which bike rides to run off of as that will put me up to 4 runs/4 rides.. don't want to crush the next day's workout. But I'm still saving those for April to get me in the 30mpw range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As of the end of Dec, I have been laying down base with my main focus on Richmond and Pelham. It has consisted of 4 swims , at least 7, typically 8, rides a week and typical core and strength. Normally two days worth of riding has been done with a morning and then night session. This has been a consistent 14 to 18 hours a week, with a recovery week at 9. The hours will continue to rise and peak ~23 between now and April. I am coming off of a foot injury, fracture, that occurred during a race in November and I have been cleared to start run training on Feb 1.

By April, I anticipate, hoping, for pretty consistent weeks around 16~18 for main weeks with the typical breakdown in the neighborhood of ~10 hours bike(4 or 5 rides), ~3 hours swim(3 swims), ~4 hours run (5 runs) and then some core/strength. My time on the bike is typically split down the middle between MTB and road. This is similar to my half plan last year, same number of total workouts per week, which worked out well for me. I am hoping to limit swimming and just maintain it where it will be and focus more on quality run workouts since I should be weak from the layoff.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any South Central Racers here? If so how many do you plan on doing this year and on what bike?

I'm planning on doing all four Texas races this year, and still deciding on what bike to ride currently on an FSR XC but I want to upgrade.... Maybe 2010 Epic Expert, maybe 2010 Stumpy Carbon 29er....I'm pretty stoaked!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be there at Richmond, but concerned about how sharp I'll be since I'll have a few weeks in May before and after my wedding in which it will be hard to get in my hours.

Wow..23 hours.. nice and here I was thinking that 12-14 (7-8 hours biking, 3 swimming, 3-4 running) for a peak was going to be a lot.

hey xterra freak.. was wondering if you'd find this thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
flargle said:
Shite when do you sleep? :D
I love having a very understanding wife and cool friends that have the same interest and are just as competitive as me, trails right near the house, YMCA very close to work, and working a flexible schedule of (4) 9's and a 4 on Fridays. 15 ~ 18 hours is not bad at all if you can get up at 5:00 am, and are on the trails/trainer/pool by 5:30. Just have to have a good schedule to allow for easy workouts after hard days and such. And that competitive wife wants a vacation in Hawaii this October ;) .

The funny thing is that I get ridiculed, and accused of being a slacker, from friends that do IM's. They view 18 hours as a recovery week :eek:

But in all seriousness, I have found the key to being competitive in local XTERRA's is to train as consistent as possible, week after week just like XC racing. I have been very competitive locally on 6 to 8 hours a week, with a good cycling base, partly to the fact that a MTB racer has such a huge advantage over the vast majority of the people in an XTERRA. Not trying to take things away from your typical roadies or road triathletes. The difficulty is that you have to be a good enough swimmer to at least be some where near the front or else you get bogged down in much slower riders in the single track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.