Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys, im not as addicted to shedding precious grams off my ride as many of you are, but I did recently purchase a new bike with the main purchase point being that it was a lightweight, fast, XC bike. The shop owner (and was written on owner's manual) told me it weighed under 24 lbs (my jaw dropped when he said that... a stock bike? 24 lbs? seems light). And it definitely is a much lighter bike than I ever have owned, but im unsure how far off base the < 24 lb may in fact be.

Specs as I know:
Skareb super fork
EA50 stem
EA50 handlebar
XTC-1 frame
XT cranks
XT front DR
XTR rear DR
Mavic XM819 rims
Deore XT hubs
Hutchinson Python tubeless "light" tires
Avid single digit 7 V-brakes
CF seatpost WTB seat

Is this bike really under 24 lbs? What do you guys think?

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha my apologies I thought somewhere in that post I asked if there was an easy way to weigh a bike, will my local bike shop have a scale (dont think the one I went to did and its easily 40 minutes away by car)? I was hoping for someone to give me at least a ballpark, maybe someone who owns a similar bike or similar setup.

And yes the reflectors are off, that pic was one from the bike store's ad for the bike not a photo I snapped. First thing I did was take those off and remove the front reflector as well.

·
What's "social pace?"
957 Posts
Sure it's possible. There's some darn heavy parts on it and it doesn't look like a stock build from the factory so who knows. I wouldn't go by the stated weight in the manual if the components differ from stock. Weigh it and let us know how off it is and we can tell you how to give it a more appropriate weight.

Hint: wheels and fork should be the first to be sold off in favour of something else.

Edit: oh yeah and the pie plate's gotta go too.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
en are es said:
The shop owner (and was written on owner's manual) told me it weighed under 24 lbs (my jaw dropped when he said that... a stock bike? 24 lbs? seems light). And it definitely is a much lighter bike than I ever have owned, but im unsure how far off base the < 24 lb may in fact be.
My stock Fly Team Ti from bikesdirect came in around 21lb with pedals (though with stupid skinny tires). For $2100 delivered could not find a better deal for a titanium frame.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
This one weighs 20lb 2oz as shown. Fwiw. Minutes after winning its sport class at Raccoon mtn SERC this season. Makes a great race bike. The 19" hybrid isn't all that light. 3.5lb on my scale.

Another pic just because.

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, and like I said I was not really "concerned" per say, more so just curious. It is one hell of a bike, some of you mentioned that some componets were pretty heavy, like what? Definitely the lightest wheelset ive ever owned and im not sure if the XTR rear is heavy or if the XT front is. I would just like to know so if those componets happen to break, thats always a good time in my book to upgrade - and on a bike like this, I will most likely be looking for lighter weight (and higher quality). Only thing I may replace before it breaks is I was considering adding a carbon fiber stem and handlebar.

And 3.5 for a frame is damn light IMHO (im sure there are lighter frames out there but all things considered...). With my NRS competing was something I always looked at doing but never strongly considered, with this bike and a few more months of training, I may be looking at that route more seriously. This thing flies up hills... could not be happier with this bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.