Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am 5 10" with 31.5 inside leg
im after a giant XTC
20" large is too big, 18" medium still feels like a stretch to the bars & with seat at its lowest extreme tiptoes to the ground!
no smalls in store to try out but will be ordering online any way
will a 16" small be ok do you guys think?
top tube length on small xtc is 57.5cm with a 100mm stem
a talon 18" medium which felt comfortable has 57cm top tube with a shorter stem
much appreciated for any advice

·
bikes, bikes, bikes!
76 Posts
You should ride a large. I'm 5'6" and I'm riding a medium Giant Anthem X29 with an 80mm stem and it fits me perfect. Acording to Giant I should be riding a small but Giant has much shorter top tubes on their 29s then most other companies.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm 5'7" (30in inseam) and I liked the small XTC (26er) better. I changed the OE stem to a 50mm and liked it like that, a little bit upright I don't have the bike anymore; sold it to get a Trance X. If you liked the shorter toptube of 57.5cm, you're probably okay with the small size.

If there's a medium for you to test ride, try it with a shorter stem, like 60mm or 50mm. Usually, if you have the seat adjusted to the proper height for efficient pedalling, you can be on tiptoes if you put your feet down to the ground while seated. (When I do that, I lean the bike a little bit to one side; one foot on the pedal, the other on the ground.) Still, if you want to be able to lower your seat some more, you can trim the seatpost a little bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.