Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this isn't fun.

I was riding yesterday and heard a crack and sure enough I cracked the seat post of my 2013 XTC 3 frame.

Unfortunately, I bought the bike from a guy who rode it one time (he was a veteran who was injured and couldn't ride anymore). So, I am not the original owner so LBS said no warranty.

I have been riding hard for months but recently replaced my saddle and was definitely sitting further back (which is what I wanted).

Took it to the LBS today who is a Calfee partner and they were concerned that it couldn't even be fixed.

Has anyone had something like this repaired? Obviously I am waiting to hear back from Calfee/LBS but man I am kind of freaking out.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Did you try to ask the original owner to file the claim for you? They can't deny if he does.

Also I don't think that this is saddle related. Did you keep your seatpost below the minimum insertion limit?

What you could possibly do is get a long seatpost shim and insert it and then insert a narrower seatpost than your current one. Or even epoxy the shim not the seatpost.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could contact him.

I did keep my seatpost below the line. Actually, just at the line. With my previous saddle I could definitely tell my weight was forward. So I think the problem was that I was weighted further back (and starting to ride harder and harder).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Get in contact with him first and think all the other options.

Was this seat post the original or an aftermarket? If it was an aftermarket you should remember that the minimum point is based on the frame and not on the seat post. For example in my Reign the minimum is 10cm while my Reverb point is at 8cm.

Anyway better ask the original owner to file the claim and maybe you could give him some incentive if necessary if this will get you a new frame. Just make sure that you get the new frame and he doesn't keep it for him!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I contacted him and then read the warranty. The way it is written, the warranty is only good as long as the original owner owns the bike. Are you saying that is not the case?

Unforunately, I am too honest to ask him to lie on my behalf.

To answer your other question, it was the stock seat post set exactly at the maximum line.

Someone gave the number for Hot Tubes in Massachusetts.

My goal now is to find someone who can do a reputable work-around not a perfect fix.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paris,

Thanks for all your help. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so honest but I don't want the original owner to have to lie. I have sifted through all my options and really boils down to these:

(1) Have someone "professionally" repair the frame. This will cost somewhere in the nature of $500-$600 bucks
(2) Rig the frame. I have heard all sorts of dire predictions about doing this.
(3) Buy a new frame. This will cost somewhere in the nature of $700-$800 bucks

I am leaning towards #3 at this point as much as I hate it. I won't be buying a replacement XTC composite, however. I would be a fool to buy the same frame I just broke from riding it exactly how the manufacturer intended it.

What would be cool is if a company like Giant would let a second time owner send the bike in, let them determine if there was a defect and, if so, sell me a replacement frame at maunfacturer's cost.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Since you decided not to follow my advice then just get another frame. Your safety costs more than $800.

PS1. Make sure not to buy it from the LBS who refused the warranty. I know many LBS who would cover you even if you are not the original owner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paris,

I wasn't so much ignoring your advice just uncomfortable with asking someone to lie on my behalf (especially a stranger). I can agree that the warranty policy is ridiculous. The bike is either a defect or not. It isn't a defect, I don't want to buy one again.

I did tell the LBS that I wanted them to contact Giant. If the bike was a defect (which I think it was), then to sell me a replacement frame at cost. If they don't do so, I will take your PS1 advice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I understand that you don't ignore my advice and I also understand the moral background of your decision and I totally respect it.

However helping the person that I sold my bike to is also a moral obligation from my side but maybe not everyone sees it the same way. As for the non transferable warranty I could understand it if we are speaking about a 10 years old bicycle but not for an almost new one with a damage that wasn't caused by improper use.

Anyway if you want to explore the other options don't spend a fortune to fix it. Just buy another one.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
I like the idea of epoxying a shim in, and using a smaller diameter post. Maybe you could contact Calfee directly, or through the shop, and ask them if they would do that type of repair. You could do it yourself, but Calfee would make it look better and probably do a better job. Even if they wouldn't warranty the repair it would be cool if they would do it.

The other option is to contact Giant directly. Give them your sob story. Be a stand up guy and offer to pay for a replacement because you love Giant soooooooooo much, but all you are asking for is a considerable discount, which a good company would give you when it is their product that failed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.