Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Singletrack Mind
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give me a break! :madman: Replaced my chain and cassette and predictably enough, my middle ring needed replacement as well. Went to the LBS and got a new one- cardboard says XT, 104 bolt circle, 32 tooth... all OK right? Get it home and found Shimano changed the size of the tabs on the rings- the 760 won't fit my 750 arms. The rest of the stamping looks identical. Why do they have to pull this BS?? I'd rather have a Race Face ring, but if Shimano has to change things every generation for no reason, who knows what will fit. :madmax: Off to look for another somewhere...

·
Registered
197 Posts
The same thing with the 510 crankset. I tried to change rings and the tabs between LX and Deore are different. Interestingly I have an M530 and a 580 crank. The middle rings are identical. The ramps and pins as well as the markings are exactly the same. The only difference I can see in the 44 ring is that the LX is a little bit stiffer, but again, ramp and pin placement is identical.

·
Singletrack Mind
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brought the ring back

I went back to the shop today to see if I could swap my 760 for a 750 or some such. The tech stated the obvious, "yeah for some reason Shimano thought it would be a good idea to make these incompatible with anything else. We just grind them down." Ridiculous that a bike shop has to grind down chainrings to fit. At least with cars, the manufacturers are required to sell spare parts for 10 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.