Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the deal with these? i've been to the shimano site and they make it seem like the best thing since sliced bread, but it seems to me to not be as popular as it would be if it actually lived up to the shitmano hype.

any opinions? good/bad? weight reasonable/not?

·
Super Moderator
20,787 Posts
they are ok...

I haven"t weighted them (I have the XTs for hydro brakes), but I don't think they are particularly light, however they work ok. They look cool, though.... I used to have XT RF+ shifters and I don't feel I have lost anything with the switch. At the begining I though they would get loose or sloppy, but so far they haven't... I guess I"ll find out in the following months, but so far so good.....

-Cris

·
Lightweight Ghost Rider
191 Posts
They're not superlight - but not very porky either. Mine weighed in at 512 grams (XTR BR-M965-R rear IS caliper + ST-M965 right side lever, incl. SM-RT96 rotor w/lockring, metal pads, 1230 mm hose, bolts and oil) and 516 grams (XTR BR-M966-F front PM caliper + ST-M965 right side lever, incl. SM-RT96 rotor w/lockring, metal pads, 710 mm hose, bolts and oil) respectively. Not too shabby I think.

Shifting with dual control is fast and precise, in short, excellent and in fact the very reason that I use them. Takes a little while to get used to and I would strongly recommend that you try before buying - and do it on the trail rather than a parking lot. Personally I find it very intuitive even though I don't use the rapid rise XTR rear derailleur but rather a RD-7800 DA instead.

Braking is very good compared to other systems I've tried. Modulation is fine even with the metal pads I use since the resin ones wear out way too fast for my taste. There has been problems with sticky pistons on some systems but it seems to be ironed out now. Mounting and bleeding is fast and uncomplicated.

If you don't fancy using the centerlock rotors and XTR hubs the calipers work fine with a wide array of rotors. I personally use Magura Marta rotors for my other wheelset.

The plastic parts scratch easily and replacements are hard to come by, at least here in Denmark.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have the XT dual control and I like them alot. I recently took off the extra shift tab, so that I use the brake levers 100% of the time for shifting. Some have said you can't shift while braking, but you sure can. The shifting motion is natural and comfortable and I recommend them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts