Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Class Clown
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to swap out my XT 32t for a 34t. What are the benefits of the XTR chainring?

Was also looking at the Wolftooth ring but they seem to be sold out.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If you're referring to the 12spd ones, the XTR ring looks way better than the XT or SLX ones, imo!

Sent from my Mate 30 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Looks better, MUCH lighter than the XT/SLX rings (which are nearly identical). The whole ring is a cold-forged piece, so theoretically it should be stiffer, not that that should matter much at all.

Wear was roughly the same perceived amount over the course of 6 months (that is, mostly anodizing/paint removed from the sides of the 'big' teeth).

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had one of the bolts on an SLX ring fail, and my warranty replacement was, drum roll, and XTR. Having used SLX, XT and now XTR... they're just chainrings. XTR looks great and is obviously lighter in the hand, but doesn't do anything better than the others. That said, info appreciate that it is a one piece part, vs the ring, spider, carrier and 8(!) bolts on the SLX and XT designs... The failure inexperienced on the SLX can't happen to the XTR...

·
Class Clown
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the input and the article was good at explaining the differences. Current crankset is XT with a 32t so I ordered the 34t XT. While the XTR looks pretty it's twice the price and I doubt I'd notice the weight difference, plus I'll probably be bashing it off rocks and roots so maybe the steel will be stronger for that (as long as the bolts stay on!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts