Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Weight isn't that different...

lawndart said:
pros cons on both? which one is better, stonger, lighter, etc......

thank you
... but I found that SRAM cassettes seem to wear faster than Shimano. That was at least my experience with the one SRAM I bought. That was the last generation. I have not tried the newer ones yet. I porlly won't unless they drop thier prices. The old PG99s could be found for $35 back in the day, and was comprable to Shimano XTs at $60.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
lawndart said:
pros cons on both? which one is better, stonger, lighter, etc......

thank you
the xt costs less and weighs less (11-32 range only), but there are a number of people who say they are not as durable (read the product reviews; lots of bent cogs). i would get the 980 instead of the 990; it's basically the same cassette minus the fancy ano job and aluminum lock ring. it also costs about $15 less than the xt.

·
Photog Cyclist.
401 Posts
I've used the 990 for about a year on one bike-yep it shifts, have a XT on another bike 2+ years, yep it shifts----Buy which one you can find cheaper. Oh yae the lock ring hasn't broken--just don't over tighten it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i run an xt 11-32 on one bike and a pg980 11-32 on another, sram mechs on both.

i cant yet comment on durability, i have worn out a pg980 previously, but that was due to the notoriously soft chainrings on my xt cranks (since replaced, both bikes now run on race face rings with pc99 chains)

the only difference i can feel on the bike is that the xt upshifts underload a little better...

apples to oranges, buy which ever you can get cheaper...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.