Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
3 on the tree
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I need a new brake after a long layoff, can't find the replacement bladder I need to repair a broken Hayes 9.

I ride a 26" Yeti 575, mostly XC/trail aggressively, weigh 205.

Durability and ease of maintenance are my top priorities. So is stopping power, obviously, but I'm assuming most brakes being sold today will perform better than the fifteen-year-old kit I'm replacing.

I'm considering XT, Magura Trail Sport and Formula Cura. I run XT hubs and drivetrain, so the matching aspect appeals to me. I've read awesome things about the latest Magura, and it looks like I can get a ridiculous deal ordering from Germany. I like the rebuildability of the Formula.

I'd be mounting onto a Fox Float fork. Would any additional hardware be required? Would the existing rotor, being in excellent shape, work well?

Thoughts and advice are much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I suppose you could start by going back and re-reading the responses to your original post

"Dusted off the bike after sitting for years..."

People have answered at least some of your questions.

·
3 on the tree
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the only brakes people specifically mentioned in my previous thread were Shimanos that aren't XT, so none of my questions above have been answered at all.

MSU Alum, do you have any feedback on the brakes mentioned in this thread?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I think ease of maintenance would go to Shimano. Parts for Shimano brakes are pretty common. I've got the Trail Sport and XT brakes (m785). The MTTS feel a bit less grabby than the XT. It's also lighter than the XT. The XT's lever blades are a bit thinner. The XT brakes are real easy to bleed with the funnel. I think you'll be fine with either brake.

XT brakes are available with four pistons now...so you can do a similar setup as the MTTS with a four pot in the front and two in the rear.

Magura says that you need a 2mm thick rotor and replace at 1.7mm. I've been using a 1.8 and replaced at ~1.5mm...and I've had no issues.

·
3 on the tree
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input, RS VR6! What size rotors are you running? I believe mine are 160mm front and rear.

Would a four piston front brake be overkill for mostly XC riding?

Any thoughts on the Formula?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I've got 180/180 on my 140mm bike. The Trail Sports have a four piston up front. For most riding a standard dual up front will be just fine.

I've never used Formula...but out of the three...they will probably be the least common. I think if you're not sure which one to go with...I'd just go with the XT. They are easy to service...parts are pretty easy to find...and if you do need to take them to a shop for service...most bike shop mechanics will have some kind of experience with them.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
I think ease of maintenance would go to Shimano. Parts for Shimano brakes are pretty common.
This is highly incorrect. Shimano does NOT sell or supply seal kits and anything beyond hoses and olives. You can NOT get parts for them. This is the #1 problem with shimano brakes, you can't repair them or refresh them. You are stuck to wait for a catastrophic failure, at which time the only remedy is to replace the brake. Shimano is fully aware of this and they just expect you to throw away the brake after a season or two (out of the shimano rep's mouth from a few weeks ago).

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
I'm able to find all kinds of random parts on eBay. What other parts are you talking about?
I'm not seeing any Shimano parts, I see stuff from China that may or may not work, nothing from Shimano. That is a problem. Hope is not a strategy. Show me where Shimano is selling seal kits, master cylinders, pistons, etc. You can not just walk into an LBS and order a seal kit and rebuild your brakes.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
You're thinking way to hard on this.

Banjo bolts, o-rings, hose kits...can all be found on eBay. Brake pads, mineral oil, bleed kits can be found in stock in most bike shops.

Every misc part I've ever needed for my Shimano brakes I was able to order. Master cylinder covers, o-ring on the MC screw, cap for the compression sleeve, brake lines only.

·
3 on the tree
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The rebuildability of the Formulas is what I find appealing, as well as the good reviews and polished silver color option. If I was able to find a replacement MC bladder for my old Hayes 9, I would have just rebuilt it and called it a day.

That being said, the XT and Magura seem to be about the same price, both cheaper than Formula.

Jayem, do you have experience with any of these brakes?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
You're thinking way to hard on this.

Banjo bolts, o-rings, hose kits...can all be found on eBay. Brake pads, mineral oil, bleed kits can be found in stock in most bike shops.

Every misc part I've ever needed for my Shimano brakes I was able to order. Master cylinder covers, o-ring on the MC screw, cap for the compression sleeve, brake lines only.
Brake pads are not "parts", they better damn be available, or what, you throw out the brake after you wear down some pads? Bleed kits? Are you kidding?

No, I'm talking about the consumables and parts within the braking system itself, o-rings, seals, cylinders, etc. Please, show me where those are in stock in ANY bike shop for Shimano brakes. Show me where Shimano offers these parts.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
I don't know that I've ever seen rebuild kits for calipers or master cylinders in stock anywhere. Come to think of it, the only rebuild kits I've ever seen are for SRAM/Avid brakes, which aren't known for their reliability.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Brake pads are not "parts", they better damn be available, or what, you throw out the brake after you wear down some pads? Bleed kits? Are you kidding?

No, I'm talking about the consumables and parts within the braking system itself, o-rings, seals, cylinders, etc. Please, show me where those are in stock in ANY bike shop for Shimano brakes. Show me where Shimano offers these parts.
I'm not real sure what you're trying to prove. All I'm saying is that if someone ever needs stuff like brake pads or some brake fluid...it'll be easier to find than some other brands.

Here are some random service parts

O-ring,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Di...587953&hash=item41f0494eeb:g:ry8AAOSwy~Jbvj3e

Banjo bolt and o-ring
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-BH...Ppc0mnA:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!93063!US!-1

More bolts and o-rings,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-BH...m=302926261752&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

More parts with o-rings,
https://www.thebikeshopstore.com/ca...yBvX8A_bcLkfJkzyVLtQ0W0fqI4jSomhoCWJEQAvD_BwE

Now the ceramic pistons are something that I've never had to replace. Third party ones are better than none if you need it...right?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Pist...m=173843264195&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

·
Registered
27 Posts
availability of spare parts , although a worthy consideration , is a long way down the priorities list in choosing a mtb brake for me personally.

outright power , long term reliability , and cost / value for money should top the agenda imo.
closely followed by ease of bleeding / set-up and general brake feel.

whether i can buy a replacement reservoir gasket 5 years down the line is neither here nor there to be honest so i wouldnt get hung up on the spare part issues.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
So I need a new brake after a long layoff, can't find the replacement bladder I need to repair a broken Hayes 9.

I ride a 26" Yeti 575, mostly XC/trail aggressively, weigh 205.

Durability and ease of maintenance are my top priorities. So is stopping power, obviously, but I'm assuming most brakes being sold today will perform better than the fifteen-year-old kit I'm replacing.

I'm considering XT, Magura Trail Sport and Formula Cura. I run XT hubs and drivetrain, so the matching aspect appeals to me. I've read awesome things about the latest Magura, and it looks like I can get a ridiculous deal ordering from Germany. I like the rebuildability of the Formula.

I'd be mounting onto a Fox Float fork. Would any additional hardware be required? Would the existing rotor, being in excellent shape, work well?

Thoughts and advice are much appreciated!
There's lots of info about the Magura and the Cura on this forum in existing threads. They're often compared to XT

Here's how to use google search just within MTBR:
site:forums.mtbr.com WHAT YOU ARE SEARCHING FOR
e.g. site:forums.mtbr.com trail sport vs cura

...and look at some of the goodness that flowed
- https://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/formula-cura-brakes-1044842.html
- https://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/magura-mt5-vs-shimano-zee-vs-formula-cura-1093255.html

Have you seen this? New Magura's below the Trail Sport, which with a pad change are equivalent to the Cura -- https://nsmb.com/articles/min-maxed-magura-mt-sport-brakes/

More great info here: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-mtb-disc-brake-can-buy/

We have great times in the braking world.

I'm buying the Cura's.

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
I just recently switched form XTR trails to 4 pod (polished) Curas and so far have been very happy with the switch. Way more modulation, stopping power, and just as smooth. just not any long term report yet tho. Oh I got mine from Star Bike very reasonable.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I just recently switched form XTR trails to 4 pod (polished) Curas and so far have been very happy with the switch. Way more modulation, stopping power, and just as smooth. just not any long term report yet tho. Oh I got mine from Star Bike very reasonable.
I've read nothing but good reviews about Cura's. It's great that Formula has returned as a leading brand.

·
3 on the tree
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all of the replies thus far, I appreciate the responses!

I've done a little more reading of reviews, etc, and I'm throwing TRP Quadiems into the mix. I like the ease of bleeding (a la Shimano,) the compatibility with other makers parts, and the solid build. Plus, I really dig the vented calipers and big levers, and they seem readily available for a decent price.

·
Banned
10,330 Posts
The cura's are some damn nice brakes. Is there there a better dual piston brake on the market? I doubt it.
The XT's are the Honda Civic of the brake world but would tend to agree with Jayem's input on them. If you're considering 4 piston on a budget you're not going to beat Zee's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.