Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the new style Shimano XT integrated shifters/levers. I want to remove the thumbshifter located at the bottom but when I unscrew the plastic piece, the metal it attaches to remains. Leaving this metal exposed looks dangerous to my knees.....

Anyone know how I can remove the entire thumbshifter as I just don't use them???

Thanks
db

·
Registered
179 Posts
Removing thumb shifter not a problem

I removed mine and have had no problems. Try it and if you dont't like it you can just put them back on.

I started to like the dual control shifters better after removing the thumb shifter as it forces you to use them as they where designed. I think if you also ride road bikes dual control is very easy to get used to otherwise is just does not seem right. A number of people have asked me "so how do you shift?". That being said on my next MTB bike I will be back to trigger shifters.

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
dlbennett said:
So I have the new style Shimano XT integrated shifters/levers. I want to remove the thumbshifter located at the bottom but when I unscrew the plastic piece, the metal it attaches to remains. Leaving this metal exposed looks dangerous to my knees.....

Anyone know how I can remove the entire thumbshifter as I just don't use them???

Thanks
db
I was worried about the metal tab-thingy being leftover, too... I couldn't figure out a way to get it off, without using a hacksaw.

But I took the thumb lever off anyway. No problems / knee scrapes to speak of...

·
Space for rent...
1,012 Posts
I have run 2 years without the thumb shifters and not had a problem. Trust me, I have fallen MANY times and not had a problem with the little metal tab that remains. I suspect the only way to remove it would be with a dremmel cut-off wheel, but don't think it is worth the effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts