Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if, like XTR, the gear indicators on the XT shifters can be removed? I believe mine are a 2008 model year. If they can come off (i see a screw that looks like its holding them on, is there some 'cover' that goes in place of them?

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The cover comes off by removing the two tiny bolts. There should be a little plastic cap attached to the underside of the cover. It fits to the top of the shifter with the same two bolts.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SteveUK said:
The cover comes off by removing the two tiny bolts. There should be a little plastic cap attached to the underside of the cover. It fits to the top of the shifter with the same two bolts.
sweet I will give that a try this afternoon.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Just cut a suitably-sized piece of electricians tape to cover the hole. If you do a good job of it, it will barely be visible.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you have older 9sp shifters you can remove the indicators without effecting the performance. It just exposes the internals to dirt. I have a set of older XT shifters that I removed the idicators from and just put a peice of electrical tape over the exposed areas. The was dirt insde the shifter when I removed them, anyways,

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just wondering why you would want to remove them? My saint shifter does not have one and I always forget what gear I am in lol

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what brillantesdv said and because I never look at them. I don't need to see what gear I am in...if i can pedal i will down shift, if its to easy to pedal I will upshift. Less time looking at the gear indicators means more time looking at the trail = faster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts