Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XT shadow RD

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  dan0 
#1 ·
I just got one of these and I don't see what the big deal is. I guess it won't get snagged, but it certainly does not shift better, and it's not quiet like they say. Does anyone else think it's a lot of hype for no performance?

#4 ·
ive never looked at shadow as a way to improve shifting, just to protect the derailer. My shadow shifts just as well as the older style and is defintally more protected. They cost the same, they shift just as well, but shadow is better protected, its a worthwhile thing if your replacing your derailer anyways. Hell I dont even notice a difference in shift quality from xt to xtr though.

If you bought it thinking you would get better shifting just hold on to your old one as a spare since regardless what gear your running its mountain biking and things die

#5 ·
shifting is very similar to regular xt,
big difference is no more cable loop, one less pivot so now the deraillier cant hit your chainstay, and tucks up tight.
if you want better shifting get the xtr shadow
if you want a stronger deraillier get the saint shadow

#7 ·
I don't see a difference between xt and xtr anymore either. That's why I started buying xt. I'm used to rapid rise, and that's why I don't like the shifting on the shadow. I'll give it a couple more rides. If I don't like it, I have a spare xt rapid rise from last year I can use. The shadow came on the new bike.

#8 ·
mlepito said:
I don't see a difference between xt and xtr anymore either. That's why I started buying xt. I'm used to rapid rise, and that's why I don't like the shifting on the shadow. I'll give it a couple more rides. If I don't like it, I have a spare xt rapid rise from last year I can use. The shadow came on the new bike.
Hasn't the major difference between XT and XTR always been mainly weight?

#9 ·
Datalogger said:
sometimes,
things like derailliers have better/ more bearings, closer tolerances, etc.
allot of times its weight , but they get lower weight by using more expensive alloys. The xtr shifters have multiple shifts in both directions. my Xtr underwear never gets skidmarks:yikes:

#10 ·
dan0 said:
sometimes,
things like derailliers have better/ more bearings, closer tolerances, etc.
allot of times its weight , but they get lower weight by using more expensive alloys. The xtr shifters have multiple shifts in both directions. my Xtr underwear never gets skidmarks:yikes:
Ok, I've always heard that XTR was simply the Race version of XT.

Gotta get me some of those underwear! :thumbsup:

#11 ·
"things like derailliers have better/ more bearings, closer tolerances, etc..."

You have bearings in your derailleur?

Shifting 'performance' is mostly determined by the shifter, not the derailleur. A drivetrain with XTR shifter and XT derailleur will feel notably better than one with XT shifter and XTR derailleur.

#12 ·
Datalogger said:
I'd say that was the case... Although in the past I can remember something like the 2nd edition XTR came out, then they updated XT (dripped down 'the technology') and some of the XT parts came out lighter than XTR (I think it was the shifters, but then I'd have to dig through 10+ years of old bike mags to get the true facts).

For my two pennies worth, XTR is 'bragging' rights... a few grams lighter (so what, the mud on my bike makes up the difference) and higher quality materials (read: more expensive)...

I gave up with XTR after 3rd edition and have choosen to run XT since.

Nether the less - whatever you have, enjoy the ride!

#13 ·
SteveUK said:
"things like derailliers have better/ more bearings, closer tolerances, etc..."

You have bearings in your derailleur?

Shifting 'performance' is mostly determined by the shifter, not the derailleur. A drivetrain with XTR shifter and XT derailleur will feel notably better than one with XT shifter and XTR derailleur.
from the shimano website
Model Number RD-M970-GS
Series XTR
Shifting Action Low Normal
Mount Type Drop-out
Maximum Sprocket 34T
Minimum Sprocket 11T
Front Difference 22T maximum
Total Capacity 33T
Guide Pulley sealed bearing
Tension Pulley sealed bearing
Pulley Bolts stainless steel
Pulley Bolts Retainer yes
Bracket Body cold forged aluminum/color anodized
Bracket Pivot Seal double O-rings
Plate Body cold forged aluminum/color anodized
Plate Pivot Bolt aluminum
Plate Pivot Seal single O-ring
Outer Link cold forged aluminum/anodized
Inner Link cold forged aluminum/anodized
Link Pin Bushings fluorine coated (4)
Outer Plate aluminum/anodized
Inner Plate aluminum/anodized
Average Weight 197g

and xt
Model Number RD-M772-GS
Series DEORE XT
Shifting Action Top Normal SHADOW
Mount Type Drop-out
Maximum Sprocket 34T
Minimum Sprocket 11T
Front Difference 22T maximum
Total Capacity 33T
Guide Pulley sealed ceramic bushing
Tension Pulley sealed bearing
Pulley Bolts stainless steel
Pulley Bolts Retainer
Bracket Body aluminum/painted
Bracket Pivot Seal single O-ring
Plate Body aluminum/painted
Plate Pivot Bolt steel
Plate Pivot Seal single O-ring
Outer Link aluminum/painted
Inner Link aluminum/painted
Link Pin Bushings fluorine coated (4)
Outer Plate aluminum/anodized
Inner Plate aluminum/anodized
Average Weight 227g

Steve the question I replied to wasnt about smooth, it was about the only difference being weight

#18 ·
SteveUK said:
"Guide Pulley sealed bearing...Tension Pulley sealed bearing "

What a tool!! The pulley bearings didn't even cross my mind. My apologies for pulling you up about that, Dan. That'll teach me to post when I'm not paying attention...
Hey, with all the good you've done on this forum you'll allways get a pass with me:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.