Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I bought an xt rear hub for $10 cuz it was missing a bearing, otherwise in good condition

Is my jerk-off lbs my only hope for getting a single replacement ball bearing ?

·
Registered
413 Posts
1. If you fill the cup with a full complement of bearings (i.e. all that fit) and then remove one, it is usually still good-to-go.

2. Because of the variability in bearing size, it is best to replace them all at the same time with good bearings from the same batch. If that single bearing you put in is too big, it will cause more harm than good. If it is too small, it won't do much good at all.

Larry

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
lgh said:
2. Because of the variability in bearing size, it is best to replace them all at the same time with good bearings from the same batch. If that single bearing you put in is too big, it will cause more harm than good. If it is too small, it won't do much good at all.
X2 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Just rebuild it and be done with it. You have to wonder what made one bearing fall out to begin with.

I don't have a cup and cone tool and took my XT hub to my LBS for service last week. Around $15 and I was good to go with all new bearings and fresh lube.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
knutso said:
Hi
I bought an xt rear hub for $10 cuz it was missing a bearing, otherwise in good condition

Is my jerk-off lbs my only hope for getting a single replacement ball bearing ?
Get 'em from your LBS - You want a higher grade (25 or 30) of bearing for use in hubs than are going to be sold at your local hardware store.

You can find them online, but not for much cheaper. Wheels Mfg sells them in bulk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.