Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So stoked that I've got a brand new SB66 on the way and am thinking of buying some new pedals since that will be the only used item I would have to put on my bike if I ran my old ones
I've run Time ATACs DH's and their XC's for a long time but am entertaining changing brans since these shimano's look great and seem to have most peoples votes.

I noticed that the xtr is barely less weight but is slimmer in profile and is more open for mud shdding but living in southern california I never worry about that.
Is it a toss up between xt or xtr?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,271 Posts
People that run the "trail" pedals have reported that their shoe doesn't actually make contact with the "cage" while clipped in, something to think about.

I've used them extensively and thought they were pretty poor. They don't have entry anywhere near as good as the 545s or 647s, because the mechanism is fixed and flat and surrounded by a cage. So they take more effort to get clipped back into and are not anywhere near as fluid or easy as the before mentioned pedals for putting a foot down during a turn and such. They are strong and reliable, like all shimano pedals, but I don't see any advantage over 520/540/xt/xtr "regular" SPD pedals, in fact, I decided to go with the normal XC pedals on my new enduro bike for just that reason. Last week I should have put my flats on for the downhill fatbike race we did, but 545s/547s would have been the best, since I'm used to those types of pedals. What I wouldn't have done would be to put on "trail" pedals, we had to drag feet and then get back on the pedals several times and using XC pedals was a bit difficult. "Trails" wouldn't have helped due to their design.

I think people that would have usually went with 647s or something similar simply can not resist the lighter weight of the trail pedals and they simply choose them after rationalizing that they'll be good with the smaller platform.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have XTR trail pedals. I ripped a pedal off its axle over a year ago and had it warranty replaced. I haven't had any issues since, but I don't have any confidence in the durability of XTR components. The R is of Race, and I don't race. This level of component is designed to be as light as possible, irrespective of durability. Once I blow these up, I will be replacing them with XT's.

For what its worth, my previous XT's lasted more than 5 or 6 years. I decided to try Times for a change and blew up 3 pair of those in 3 years. So, I am done with Times and done with XTR.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I can't argue that the xt or xtr's are a better pedal than the 647's because they aren't. However, I do not agree that xt's or xt'r offer nothing over the cageless 520/540 because they quite simply do. Now this may be dependent on what shoe your running but all one needs to do is pick up a shoe & mate it to an xt/xtr pedal to realize their is ample contact. The main reason I switched from 647's to xt's (other than weight) is they are MUCH thinner. With lower BB's I simply get far fewer pedal strikes versus the 647's.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Xtr pedal axles fail. Xt is more durable. My last set of xt lasted three years until one of the spring loaded retainers cracked and fell off the pedal. I ended up
Getting another set because I like them. I had the DX pedals for a while and still run them on my dh bike but the axle retainer always comes loose

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I have both. The trail pedals seem to be getting the kibosh in this thread. I ride a lot of technical trails. Three things I like about them is I can pedal a couple of revolutions with my foot on the cage when renewing a climb after a stop, I can unclip and use them as a surrogate flat (not the same but it works), and lastly I find that if I hit a rock while pedaling the cage hits the rock and not my foot. Thus lessening the possibility of becoming unclipped.

I find these attributes handy riding steep rollovers on slickrock, chunk or riding skinnies where I may need to bail in a hurry. If you mainly ride buff, xc-ish trails then there is no need and you'd probably want the weight savings of the xc m980 pedal at 310g. The XT are indeed heavier at 340 g. That's 30 g of rotating weight which may make a difference to a weight weenie racer type and all things considered that's about $2/gram. Much cheaper per gram than carbon rims for folks squeezing the last bit of weight savings out of a bike.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I own XTR Trails, 545s, 646s and regular XTs. I find the XTR Trail platform to provide noticeably more support then non-platform spuds during those times when I've unclipped one foot for a drift and haven't fully clipped back in yet.

*If you're wearing hard-soled XC shoes any platform is going to be less useful. I'm using Shimano MP66s which are a skate style SPD shoe.

·
Registered
626 Posts
platform XT/XTR's are usable in sneakers riding with the kids in the neighborhood, much more so than puny clipless. FWIW. I like the platform for being on the pedal but not clipped in, or to get started up a hill. I can put a few strokes in without being clipped in, until I'm at a spot I can finish it. I like them.

·
Resident Gear Head
726 Posts
platform XT/XTR's are usable in sneakers riding with the kids in the neighborhood, much more so than puny clipless. FWIW. I like the platform for being on the pedal but not clipped in, or to get started up a hill. I can put a few strokes in without being clipped in, until I'm at a spot I can finish it. I like them.
My thoughts exactly. I just bought a pair of the m530 after using the m980 for a year or so. I like the platform a lot more because I would always miss the clip in on the m980 and it would ruin my climb. At least with the platform if you miss you have something to grip onto

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Random thought, I've long run SPDs, recently 520's and 540's on my bikes. Recently though, it seems like quality may have taken a bit of a hit. Since I have 4 bikes and didn't want to buy 4 new sets of pedals to change, I checked around to see if I could find something SPD compatible to replace a worn set of pedals, and came across XPEDO. Be careful, some of their stuff is "super light weight" and has max rider weights on it. Other stuff doesn't, but in fact is still closer in weight to the XTR pedals than the 540's, they are very open, shed mud quite well, and have more float than SPD's. For those concerned about durability, I weigh 215 without my pack on, and haven't had any issues with these pedals. They're a little pricier than 540's, but no where near XTR prices.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,832 Posts
I have xtr trails, and have had no problems with them and really like them. Vs the xt, you are paying for a lower profile, slightly less weight and they spin a lot more freely (comparing to my xt spd's non-trail version). Do a spin test side by side and you'll see a big difference.

I have never had the problems Jayem mentions with engagement, may depend on what shoe you're using.

Jayem and others also mentioned they don't 'feel' the platform when clipped, but i don't think the designers intended that, these are not like Mallets where its a giant platform and a recessed clip. The clip on xt/xtr trails sits higher. The small platform is there for support while temporarily negotiating technical sections unclipped, and it does a good job at that. The point of this pedal is "oh **** I accidentally unclipped and still need to make to through this", not, "holy balls there's no way I'd ever attempt this clipped in and I'm going to ride this on flats". When clipped in, it feels exactly like a regular xt or xtr clipless pedal. The shoe should provide the platform in this case.

Tracer mentioned axle failures, I think xtrs had some problems with early runs but that should be worked out now, I've never had any issues.

As for Atac vs spd, I had a very early generation, non-adjustable version of atacs, and I felt they had a tad more float, but, so much so that it could be hard to eject when needed. Spd has the perfect amount of float for me.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the XT Trail's, and I love them. I think the XTR is also a good pedal, but I've read some somewhat negative reports on reliability. Even if the XTR are just reliable as the XTs, I think that its definitely not worth the extra money for something that weighs basically the same. Save your $$ and get the XTs.

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,875 Posts
I built a 6" trail bike last year and, coming off 6 trouble free years on 540s. I almost put them on the new bike but wanted something shiny to complement the rest of the build. So, I picked XTR Trail over the XT trail. Mainly for the clearance. If you spend time in rocks and roots you know how precious every millimeter can be. I also find the platform quite noticeable and useful. Its very supportive when the trail gets rough or you really nail a flat turn, or especially when you need to get a few cranks in un-clipped.

Regarding "is XTR worth..."? When you're building a $4,000 bike, an extra $50 for XTR vs. XT is a non-issue. You'll be happy with either pedal but in this rare case I'd say cost is a non-issue. If all goes according to plan you will have these pedals for many years.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For people that have used time and spd , how does the float compare?
I had Time ATAC XC for a long time. I really liked the engagement and durability... Eventualy I sucked all the life out of them.

I changed to XT Trail Pedals.

I'm very happy with the XT Trail. I've had them for just over six months riding often and being a bit rough on them.

I like the tension adjustment, it makes a big difference. Way more than the three clicks that the Times had. I was concerned with mud, but they are just as good than the Times, I have not had any issues.

They seem to be built quite strong and I hope they last. If not, I will still get XT trail as they are less expensive than most other pedals of that quality.

I would recommend you give them a try.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I built a 6" trail bike last year and, coming off 6 trouble free years on 540s. I almost put them on the new bike but wanted something shiny to complement the rest of the build. So, I picked XTR Trail over the XT trail. Mainly for the clearance. If you spend time in rocks and roots you know how precious every millimeter can be. I also find the platform quite noticeable and useful. Its very supportive when the trail gets rough or you really nail a flat turn, or especially when you need to get a few cranks in un-clipped.

Regarding "is XTR worth..."? When you're building a $4,000 bike, an extra $50 for XTR vs. XT is a non-issue. You'll be happy with either pedal but in this rare case I'd say cost is a non-issue. If all goes according to plan you will have these pedals for many years.
On that note, the XTR is quite a bit narrower than XT. They are also made in japan whereas XT is made in Malaysia.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.