Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So had my brakes for 2 years now. I over filled them once and had some fluid squirt out the over flow valve. Since then they have leaked out that port. Never had any issues other than just put the bowl on top and topped it up 2 times a year. I read an other thread on here others had this issue and it eventually stopped.

Mine hasnt stopped so i took the whole brake apart. Seals seemed fine, everything was super dirty and covered with gunk. Cleaned it all up and then decided to blow into the hose end and see if there is a noticeable leak. Yup... could hear a leak out the valve.

So used my compressor and at low psi i blew into the hose end and could hear air rushing out. Did this a few times and then blew into the hose end with my mouth and no air rushing out noise. Success?

Put the lever back on and instead of forcing up from the caliper i did the bowl and just squeezed the lever until the air bubbles stopped coming out. Lever is nice and firm....

We will see if this solved the issue. If not im going to have to buy a new lever cause this is annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well since if done this i havent gone for a ride but the bikes been leaned against the wall and no fluid has came out. Hopefully sealed.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. DONT use a compressor! It ****ed the plug. Its made of plastic and now its leaking around it not thru the vent.

There is a little set screw that holds it in thru the clamp and it just pushes in.

Then you can pop it out pushing back thru the bowl hole with a small allen key.

Bah... well this lever is ****ed anyways so i RTV siliconed the plug back in. If it leaks again... ill be ordering a new lever

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well ready to rock. Seems fine. Got a new lever from bikeinn for $40 so this will do till the new one comes in.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i saw something shoot out of that hole when i squeezed the overfilled system... was it just fluid or did it shoot out a plug? am I missing a plug? Thanks
Its a valve, its suppose to do that. Mine just never stopped leaking.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aaaah okay... phew!!! I did poke it with a small allen though to see if there was a plug i needed to push it back in or something... Did that mess it up?
I dont think so. If you want to remove it. Remove your lever and there is a little hole with a grub screw holding it in from the clamp under the black shim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.