Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have made an error, having just purchased a new XT M771 9 speed rear mech and installed it on a new bike, and I can't get it to shift to 1st and 9th on the cassette. I updated the shifter to the XT M770 9 Speed at the same time but as the cassette was new I didn't change that. I doesn't appear that this mech will reach to the top end anyways, and although I can cope with out the that big gear, I do kinda want that small one back. Would changing the cassette to the XT 9 speed fix this problem??

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
My guess is the limit screws are not adjusted. There are 2 screws typically on the back of the derailleur that limit the travel to avoid going into the spokes or hitting the frame in the extreme gears. I recommend shifting to gear 9 on the shifter, loosening the cable, if it will will only stay in 8, turn the "H" screw out (counter clockwise) until it goes into gear 9 and does not make noise. Then tighten the cable in the 5mm screw. Not start shifting toward gear 1, if it stops at gear 2 turn the "L" screw out (counter clockwise)until it shifts to gear 1. That adjustment is critical as you do not want it to overshift to the spokes so once it makes no noise, do not go any further. You may need to use the adjuster barrels to tighten the cable, but it should not be multiple turns.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I think I have made an error, having just purchased a new XT M771 9 speed rear mech and installed it on a new bike, and I can't get it to shift to 1st and 9th on the cassette. I updated the shifter to the XT M770 9 Speed at the same time but as the cassette was new I didn't change that. I doesn't appear that this mech will reach to the top end anyways, and although I can cope with out the that big gear, I do kinda want that small one back. Would changing the cassette to the XT 9 speed fix this problem??
maybe I am missing something here, but are not all XT CS-M771 cassettes 10 speed...options being 11-32t, 11-34t and 11-36t and are not all current XT rear derailleurs also 10 speed only...maybe a 9 speed shifter mis-match boo-boo? :confused:

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.