Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What would be the expectation of the bearing life span on a XT front hub?
My bike was bought new in October last year fitted with an XT M775 front hub.
I noticed in the last week that the hub was getting a bit "rumbly" so last night I pulled it down to find the brake side cone had fairly significant pitting, the other side cone and cup looked ok.
I cleaned them out and repacked with grease but its still making too much noise for my liking, experience tells me that it wont last a great deal longer was it has pitted.
This morning I took the wheel in to the local Giant dealer who rang Shimano, answer that came back was, sorry, no warranty, wear and tear.
What BS is this?, Im a recreational rider who uses my bike twice a week and I am expected to believe that I can expect the hub to last only 4 1/2 months:madmax:

Any body else had experience with this sort of thing and feed back from Shimano?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jeffgre_6163 said:
What would be the expectation of the bearing life span on a XT front hub?
My bike was bought new in October last year fitted with an XT M775 front hub.
I noticed in the last week that the hub was getting a bit "rumbly" so last night I pulled it down to find the brake side cone had fairly significant pitting, the other side cone and cup looked ok.
I cleaned them out and repacked with grease but its still making too much noise for my liking, experience tells me that it wont last a great deal longer was it has pitted.
This morning I took the wheel in to the local Giant dealer who rang Shimano, answer that came back was, sorry, no warranty, wear and tear.
What BS is this?, Im a recreational rider who uses my bike twice a week and I am expected to believe that I can expect the hub to last only 3 1/2 months:madmax:

Any body else had experience with this sort of thing and feed back from Shimano?
Will last forever if taken care of.
Die young if not.

Also needs to be readjusted before first use. The factory setting is never right. This should be done as part of the build by the dealer, but rarely is these days. Too many never touch the wheels before they go out the door.

Hopefully the cup in your hub shell is not pitted, and your LBS can get just the cone. For the rear 770 hubs you have to buy the entire axle assembly (~$45) just to get one cone.

·
Registered
181 Posts
4 years on my Shimano hubs and they are still going strong. But, before I ever rode them, I broke them down and packed them with Phil Wood grease then adjusted them to perfection. The factory grease was minimal and the original adjustment was too tight.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
As mentioned above, Shimano hubs can last for ages if maintained. I've found like Shiggy that they are never adjusted correctly from the factory. Sounds like it was too tight which is the norm. If it came with a new bike, you might have a conversation with the LBS (assuming you purchased from one) about properly adjusting your hubs and see what they'll do for you.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not use a pressure washer, I am well aware of the problems with high pressure cleaning.
I am mechanically sympathetic and do not seek to ride in rain or slop, but the occassional wetting can't be avoided, or I and thousands of other MTB'ers in the far north of Australia would not ride at all for 4 months of the year.
Come on, its an MTB for heavens sake and not made of tissue
I still cant get my head around what could be considered a premium bike hub only lasting 4 and half months from brand new only being ridden twice a week by a 46 year old of very average ability for strictly XC duties.
How often would you expect to pull the hub down to service given these conditions?
Lets say I have had the bike 18 weeks x 2 rides per week averaging 20km per ride that gives 720km, of which less than 1/4 would have been in any moisture at all.
That makes it look even worse, that the hub only handled 180km worth of wet riding and washing every 4th ride!
I think thats BS, particulary given that the hub should have been in pristine condition and fully packed with grease given it was new.
I have down loaded the Shimano technical service instructions for the hub, it clearly states "Grease should be applied to each part at periodic intervals".
OK I can do that.
Define periodic?
Every 500km, 1000km, 2000km?
Some one stated that the hub should have been pulled down or at least adjusted prior to delivery, so why is it now my problem that its worn prematurely due to a shimano dealer not doing their job properly or Shimano not adjusting it or assembling it properly in the first place
No warranty, no way.
This is not over

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Calm down. Nobody even mentioned a pressure washer or misuse.

Loose ball hubs should be serviced every 6 months to 2 years, depending on conditions (once a year is average). But they needed to be properly adjusted in the first place.

You need to have a calm discussion with the dealer (as suggested). Rant at them and you will get nowhere.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
jeffgre_6163 said:
I do not use a pressure washer, I am well aware of the problems with high pressure cleaning.
I am mechanically sympathetic and do not seek to ride in rain or slop, but the occassional wetting can't be avoided, or I and thousands of other MTB'ers in the far north of Australia would not ride at all for 4 months of the year.
Come on, its an MTB for heavens sake and not made of tissue
I still cant get my head around what could be considered a premium bike hub only lasting 4 and half months from brand new only being ridden twice a week by a 46 year old of very average ability for strictly XC duties.
How often would you expect to pull the hub down to service given these conditions?
Lets say I have had the bike 18 weeks x 2 rides per week averaging 20km per ride that gives 720km, of which less than 1/4 would have been in any moisture at all.
That makes it look even worse, that the hub only handled 180km worth of wet riding and washing every 4th ride!
I think thats BS, particulary given that the hub should have been in pristine condition and fully packed with grease given it was new.
I have down loaded the Shimano technical service instructions for the hub, it clearly states "Grease should be applied to each part at periodic intervals".
OK I can do that.
Define periodic?
Every 500km, 1000km, 2000km?
Some one stated that the hub should have been pulled down or at least adjusted prior to delivery, so why is it now my problem that its worn prematurely due to a shimano dealer not doing their job properly or Shimano not adjusting it or assembling it properly in the first place
No warranty, no way.
This is not over
In the end I know what you mean.....you buy a bike, ride it for its intended purpose and voila it dies a premature death...

Then all the bike gecks tell you oh it your problem you have to fix it when you buy it new...

Well it took me about 3 years to get my bike to the point where....I can run it hard, for its intended purpose....provide some resonable maintaince...and the damn thing just keeps on ticking...

Why are bikes like this cause 90 % of them don't get ridden very much at all.....

Facts of life....deal with it.

Oh yeah I had a shimano hub wasn't XT but they wore out very quickly like yours...so I went to a cartridge bearing hub, lasts much longer.

Then I got a great deal on XTR wheel set we will see how they last.....the felt just about perfect out of the box...I checked the under the seal and there was more than enough grease....so I am hoping.

Still ride the cartridge bearings in the long cold aslty slushy winter tho.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
shiggy said:
Calm down. Nobody even mentioned a pressure washer or misuse.

Loose ball hubs should be serviced every 6 months to 2 years, depending on conditions (once a year is average). But they needed to be properly adjusted in the first place.

You need to have a calm discussion with the dealer (as suggested). Rant at them and you will get nowhere.
While ranting may get you no where....there are times when being resonable will also get you no where....

Then a rant becomes the thing to do.

Oh and what you really mean is Shimano hub cup and cone bearings should be serviced when new and at least 6 every 6 months to 2 years therafter depending on service conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts