Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it's possible to dismantle an XT microspline freehub? I am interested to know if it's possible to replace the cartridge bearings. There are two, one each side; one of them can be removed after simply removing the dust seal but the other on is hidden behind the ratchet mechanism which clearly says do not disassemble. However if I wanted to replace that bearing it would definitely need disassembling!

I'd rather not buy a complete new hub, just to get my hands on a new freehub, simply to replace the bearings...

Thanks in advance! :)

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Short answer: yes, you can do it without damage.

Long answer:

1) Remove the custom c-clip on the back ("Do not disassemble") using a pair of wide-opening, narrow point pliers, or a thin screwdriver.

2) Remove the clip underneath by gently pressing the two ears together with your pliers, until it clears the slot enough to remove. You can easily damage this part, and there are no replacements--be forewarned.

3) Twist the floating driver off, and remove the drive plate.

4) Drift out your bearings, and install new ones, remembering to install the spacer sleeve.

5) Do not lubricate the plates on reassembly. They rely on being dry to keep out contaminants, so unless you want to make a long-term habit of cleaning/lubing them, don't put anything on them.

6) Place the eared clip on the freehub body assembly, and while providing gentle downward pressure with one hand, squeeze the ears gently with your pliers.

7) Re-attach c-clip

8) Check for proper engagement/disengagement.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update for anyone that's interested. I did indeed manage to dismantle it using above instructions - mostly, small screwdrivers better than pliers, in my case anyway. I swapped the stock bearings for Enduro ones and reassembled. Runs perfectly. :) I did notice that there was some lubrication around the internal parts of the ratchet mechanism. It seemed to be a bit grey and I'm not sure if it seeped there from elsewhere or if it was there from the beginning. I started to wipe it away and then thought better of it so left most of it there. 🤷‍♂️ I regreased the parts where it says to apply grease. I used genuine Shimano Premium Grease and genuine Seal Grease for Freehub where appropriate.

Anyway thanks @wschruba for the how to. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.