Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With these cranks there are two bolts that use a 8mm (I think) to attach the cranks to the bottom bracket. Then there is a spacer and a cap that go on each side. The caps have two small holes in them, but my crankset didn't include any type of tool to tighten these up.

What are you guys using to tighten the caps (kind of look like dust caps) up? If they are just going to fall off then I won't even bother putting them on.

Thanks in advance...

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Dust Caps require a "spanner" wrench

an adjustable one can be had from your local bike tool supply (bike shop, or sears, or hardware store) simple, important, easy to use, cost is low to buy.

pick one up and start that tool collection

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Shimano also makes a cheap fixed spanner that works for these, but pin spanners are pretty cheap as far as tools go.

The caps aren't necessary, but they provide the "self extracting" feature of the crank. *I think* it's safe to say that if you're not going to bother with self extraction (if, for instance, you have or plan to have a Park CCP-4 or similar crank removal tool) that these caps aren't necessary.

A word of advice, though: these are 10mm bolt heads. If you're not going to install them to the recommended 30-36 ft-lbs of torque and have some long rides planned, be sure to pack a 10mm wrench (or, what I'm really getting at: Make sure they're tightened properly or they'll work loose!).

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Speedüb Nate said:
Shimano also makes a cheap fixed spanner that works for these, but pin spanners are pretty cheap as far as tools go.

The caps aren't necessary, but they provide the "self extracting" feature of the crank. *I think* it's safe to say that if you're not going to bother with self extraction (if, for instance, you have or plan to have a Park CCP-4 or similar crank removal tool) that these caps aren't necessary.

A word of advice, though: these are 10mm bolt heads. If you're not going to install them to the recommended 30-36 ft-lbs of torque and have some long rides planned, be sure to pack a 10mm wrench (or, what I'm really getting at: Make sure they're tightened properly or they'll work loose!).
Thanks all, exactly what I needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts