Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distributor
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapped out the XTR Di2 for XT Di2 today. Mainly because I already have XT brakes, wanted a complete group and like the black finish better than the silver XTR parts and I wanted the BlueTooth functionality. Downloaded the iPhone app, got the new BT-DN110 battery and it was pretty much plug and play. Rear derailleur, shifter and new junction box add about 150g in weight. Entire bikes still sub 25lbs (XL frame with tubes) so I'm happy. Thats all.

New derailleur

XT_Di2.jpg

Old set-up

Tumbler.jpg

·
blood in / blood out
396 Posts
You must not ride in the cold much if you went DI2. With all my talks with Shimano, they said I should not use DI2 on my fatbike since I ride in a cold climate. They said I would not get great battery life and did not advise me to go that route.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
After almost two years riding off road with Di2 my experience has been just the opposite. I find it more reliable than cables when riding in the cold wet snow. Here we have lots of creek crossings and periods of wet snow and freezing temps.

I imagine it is much colder out your way but I have found it to be very reliable down below zero. I am a little curious who you spoke to at Shimano?
IMG_0216.jpg IMG_0347.jpg

You must not ride in the cold much if you went DI2. With all my talks with Shimano, they said I should not use DI2 on my fatbike since I ride in a cold climate. They said I would not get great battery life and did not advise me to go that route.

·
blood in / blood out
396 Posts
After almost two years riding off road with Di2 my experience has been just the opposite. I find it more reliable than cables when riding in the cold wet snow. Here we have lots of creek crossings and periods of wet snow and freezing temps.

I imagine it is much colder out your way but I have found it to be very reliable down below zero. I am a little curious who you spoke to at Shimano?
View attachment 1113103 View attachment 1113104
I started talking to my local Shimano rep and then with Shimano direct. And all said for riding in MN in the winter, that I would not get long battery life. I love DI2 for the road and install it all the time so I wanted it for my fatbike. I do ride down to -20 then after that, I'll just stay in and find other things to do. It is good to hear from someone that has first hand experience with DI2 in the cold. I think Shimano was playing it safe with me so they didn't have an unhappy customer.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,988 Posts
Where is your battery attached? Cant see it on the full bike shot.
Newer Di2 batteries are inside the seat tube or head tube depending on routing and other odds & ends. The Shimano PRO cockpit bits make for SUPER clean Di2 routing, but not sure if anyone else offers anything similar.

I'm not sure CL actually rides the bikes he posts.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Makes sense. I have not noticed any degraded battery performance, I have done some 5-6 hour rides in the low single digits. A couple 2-3 hour rides that dipped just below zero. The battery last a very long time in normal temperature's so I can't see you having any trouble unless your doing some extended bikepacking. I am pretty confident it would last for the Arrowhead 135. My battery is in the seat post, that could help a little. I have had the derailleurs completly caked in ice and that just break it up unlike a traditional derailleur. The crazy part is mine is hacked Ultegra 6870.

Cheers!

I started talking to my local Shimano rep and then with Shimano direct. And all said for riding in MN in the winter, that I would not get long battery life. I love DI2 for the road and install it all the time so I wanted it for my fatbike. I do ride down to -20 then after that, I'll just stay in and find other things to do. It is good to hear from someone that has first hand experience with DI2 in the cold. I think Shimano was playing it safe with me so they didn't have an unhappy customer.

·
Distributor
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure CL actually rides the bikes he posts.
Oh, there's plenty of video of me around racing, jumping etc. but not a lot of footage of me on the fat bike.

[video]http://carbonlord.com/Wheelie.mp4[/video]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts