Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can my 2 year old XT crank (2x9 set up) work on a new TREK Superfly Aluminum frame? And how much would it cost (if I could get it to work?)

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
2 year old XTs would still use an external bottom bracket and the new Superfly AL comes with Shimano 552s so all you would really have to do is swap the cranks and you can leave the bottom bracket in until it wears out then swap to the other BB.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the XT crank I have now will work with new bottom bracket. Or if I bought a Superfly frame I could use my XT crank with a new bottom bracket?

Would you know about the fork (I am posting another question on this site also about that one)--But thanks..

·
Registered
1 Posts
TREK SUPERFLY AL - BB for SRAM X0/XX

Hi, I bought a 2012 trek Superfly AL frame. press fit bb cups...need help
The Customer Service of TREK said: The Superfly AL Elite will require a SRAM pressfit bottom bracket to use the XO or XX cranks. It is not a BB95. But in the trek website mention BB95?????

But I´m still confused: When I find SRAM pressfit Bottom Bracket for use X0 / XX / X9, appears: 1)SRAM truvative GXP BB92
2) SRAM BB91/BB92
3) SRAM BB30

What is the accurate BB for this 2012 TREK Superfly AL?
Can anybody help me with this?
Br, Eduardo

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

2) SRAM BB91/BB92 press fit is what you need. BB95 is used on the carbon frames.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

2) SRAM BB91/BB92 press fit is what you need. BB95 is used on the carbon frames.
The bottom brackets for BB86/88/90/91/92/95 are all the same. It's just a slight difference in width of the shell.

So to use an XT crank on the aluminum Trek frame you need a BB92 press fit bottom bracket. There is only one so you can't actually order the wrong one. There is BB90 press fit and PF30.

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
I don't know about other brands, but as far as Treks are concerned, BB90/95 is not "press fit" in the sense that press fit means cups pressed into the frame with bearings in the cups. 90/95 is just bearings riding in the frame without an intermediary cup.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't know about other brands, but as far as Treks are concerned, BB90/95 is not "press fit" in the sense that press fit means cups pressed into the frame with bearings in the cups. 90/95 is just bearings riding in the frame without an intermediary cup.
That is correct for CARBON frames. The frame being discussed here if I'm not mistaken is an aluminum frame which uses a press fit in which bearing ARE in a cup that is pressed into the frame.

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
Yes, that is what I said. I brought up 90/95 because the op asked about it, and I clarified since that is not what he needs. You said 90/95 is the same as the others, which it is not, and I corrected you.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yes, that is what I said. I brought up 90/95 because the op asked about it, and I clarified since that is not what he needs. You said 90/95 is the same as the others, which it is not, and I corrected you.
What are you talking about? I what trek calls BB92 some other company calls BB91 or BB86. That was my point.

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
The bottom brackets for BB86/88/90/91/92/95 are all the same.
I know about 92, 91, 86 essentially being all the same bottom bracket, but 90/95 is a different animal when dealing with Trek.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
OP here (thanking all for replys) and got my old parts from my cracked Paragon on my new Superfly frame. Now waiting for XX tapered fork to put on.

here is the pic..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts