Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
My gloves stink
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn those XT cassettes are expensive. Anyone know anyone who sells them cheap(er)?

I see that Supergo has the Sram PG990 for cheap, but many reviewers weren't impressed with them. The XTs have been pretty good to me.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
They are around 60 bucks, right? That isn't too bad since they last a while. Do you consider that too high? If so, I probably will be no help.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good point, I am still on 8 speed and stockpiling components as I think it is a better system. Sorry, should have assumed you were 9 speed. My bad.

Mark

·
My gloves stink
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$60 is a good price

Flyer said:
They are around 60 bucks, right? That isn't too bad since they last a while. Do you consider that too high? If so, I probably will be no help.
Performance has them on sale for about $60, which is the best I've found so far. I suppose that's a fair price, I'm just a tight screw, that's all.

·
My gloves stink
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting...

MJ51 said:
Good point, I am still on 8 speed and stockpiling components as I think it is a better system. Sorry, should have assumed you were 9 speed. My bad.

Mark
...I have noticed that 8 speed stuff is considerably cheaper, which surprises me, since it is well liked, and I figure they're not making any more of it. The old "planned obsolesence" trick. Too bad for me, I'm committed to 9 speed.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Appendage said:
Performance has them on sale for about $60, which is the best I've found so far. I suppose that's a fair price, I'm just a tight screw, that's all.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with that. That's one of the best ways to enjoy life and retire early.

·
My gloves stink
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or, in my case...

Flyer said:
Hey, there is nothing wrong with that. That's one of the best ways to enjoy life and retire early.
...use the savings to buy more bike stuff!

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
It looks like 60 bones. Rbikes.com has them for $59.99 for the XT and an LX for 39.99.

Oh well, i guess. ;)

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Appendage said:
Damn those XT cassettes are expensive. Anyone know anyone who sells them cheap(er)?

I see that Supergo has the Sram PG990 for cheap, but many reviewers weren't impressed with them. The XTs have been pretty good to me.
I have not been impressed with the durability of the XT cassettes. I got mine around August. I haven't logged a lot of miles on it either. The lower cogs that I usually mash on are completely worn out. Shifting was always kind of spotty. Rather than getting a new cassette, I just replaced the loose lower cogs from an XTR cassette I had aroud that I wore out the larger cogs on. I'm pretty anal about my drivetrain too. I swap the chain every 6 months or so. I run XTR derailleur, XTR cables, Wipperman 1x9 or KMC x10 gold chains, e.13 guide ring, etc, etc. I don't mind paying more for quality, but I've been let down by the XT cassette. My XTR was alright, but didn't last that long either. I've had better luck with the high-end SRAM cassettes. If I had the money, I would be running a full SRAM setup like on my old Norco.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Thats too bad to hear that. I have 2 XT cassettes, one on my Superlight and the other on the 5 Spot. The one on the Superlight has given me 3.5 years of great service with pretty heavy use (1500-1800 miles a year). I just got the Turner so hopefully that will give me the same reliability. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Isn't the new SRAM 990 cassette with the red hub supposed to be much improved? Anybody have any experience with it?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
$60 is about where it's at I'm afraid. I had the good fortune to find the older LX cassettes for $24 each and only bought one, now there's no more. Yeh those new SRAM cassettes w/ the RED spider are sposed to be very sweet and improved, price is around $70. Had an older SRAM PG950 cassette on my bike originally and it lasted over 1800 hard miles and still has a bit of life left in it (started to where away the chrome plate), but the LX cassette was alot lighter so I just got it and switched it out and keep the SRAM as back up or for another bike.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A good source for $60 or less cassettes would be nice, I bought '05 990's but got rid of em when I saw the cog spacing from 34-28. I think that ratio's changed for '06. Seems like 2 seasons ago the XT's were $49. The comparable SRAM new 990's msrp is $95? %&#@!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Trailhappy said:
Isn't the new SRAM 990 cassette with the red hub supposed to be much improved? Anybody have any experience with it?

I'm running a (06) 990 and so far so good. They addressed the gap between the last two cogs which was what most people didn't like about them. If that price from Supergo is for the 06, that's a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Supergo has a picture of a 06 cassette but the description has the lockring as silver which means it's a 05. That pisses me off when they do that....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts