Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Rep'n the 905
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I'm about to place an order on CRC for new brakes. I currently have Elixer's with SRAM shifters.

So my question is 2 part I guess, 1) Can I mount XT brakes on the sram shifters, or do I need to switch the shifters out as well?

2) Theres spec a and spec b XT brakes, anyone know which one I'd need?

Thanks

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
I run XT brakes with a X.0 trigger shifter.....but they both have their own mounts.

Problem Solvers makes a mount to use one mount for both shifter and brake, but they don't work very well.

·
B A N N E D
5,318 Posts
Theres spec a and spec b XT brakes, anyone know which one I'd need?
The only adapter I know of that allows you to mount SRAM shifters onto Shimano brakes is one made by Problem Solvers, that adapter is made for use with the old I-Spec, it isn't made for the new I-Spec B.

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/mismatch_adapters

I've read a few posts where people have said they don't like the shifter position when it's used with that adapter.

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,341 Posts
The spec B mount is being shown at the shows right now... Should be for sale soon. There are a few guys in Europe that make some CF pieces to use but they're not cost effective.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Make sure you get the 785 model and not the 775. The mismatch adapter only works on the 785s.

·
Rep'n the 905
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it doesnt seem like its a good fit so I might just get new shifters as well.

Now that leads me to another question. If I went with new shifters is there anything else I have to change with them? Currently running SRAM x7 and x9 derailleurs with a 2x10. Would have have to change over everything?

·
West Chester, PA
4,947 Posts
Well it doesnt seem like its a good fit so I might just get new shifters as well.

Now that leads me to another question. If I went with new shifters is there anything else I have to change with them? Currently running SRAM x7 and x9 derailleurs with a 2x10. Would have have to change over everything?
yes. Shimano shifters don't work on sram drivetrain.

Don't sweat this, you don't need matchmakers.

The xt levers are very short. I highly doubt you will have any issues reaching the sram shifter with your thumbs. I have my brake levers placed pretty far inboard so only my index finger is used, and the shifter is still easily reached by my thumb.

The sram shifters also have two mounting points for the bracket you know ? Many people don't realize that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

A while back I was able to combine SRAM shifters with XTR brakes without any extra hardware (aside from a rubber washer). Unsure if your mounting hardware is similar, but it may be worth having a look:

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/elegant-way-combine-xx-shifter-xtr-brake-830162.html

Have a look at the photos near the bottom to see if it will work for you.
thanks. That was i-spec a though right, not i-spec b? I have i-spec b. Maybe that trick still works.

·
B A N N E D
5,318 Posts
I don't think they do for i-spec b.
They are making them as previously mentioned, the adapters should of been available for sale by now but there's apparently been a stuff up.

February 4: " Were expecting to have those ready and available here in the next couple of weeks. We'll have the info posted up here as well as on the blog as soon as they're available."
February 17: "We're expecting to have the updated version of the mismatch adapters available in the next couple of weeks."
March 11: "Bad news friends. Our MisMatch 1.1 (BR0389) delivery has been delayed. We got 'em in, but they're just not quite right fitment-wise."
March 20: "I'm reluctant to say given the SNAFUs we had with our first shipment, but it's looking like the end of next week."
March 24: "We've got our fingers crossed for April 1."

That's from the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ProblemSolversBike?sk=wall&filter=2

·
ACHOO
4,454 Posts
I did the opposite of what you initially posted. I mounted the XX shifter on the XTR brake, as opposed to mounting the brake on the shifter.

i-Spec isn't relevant here. I was using the bar mount on the XTR brakes (although you make use of the i-spec mounting hole to mount the SRAM shifter).

·
Rep'n the 905
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got another question...

So the XT/SLX line of brakes are offered in spec A and spec B, whats the diff?

·
Rep'n the 905
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did the opposite of what you initially posted. I mounted the XX shifter on the XTR brake, as opposed to mounting the brake on the shifter.

i-Spec isn't relevant here. I was using the bar mount on the XTR brakes (although you make use of the i-spec mounting hole to mount the SRAM shifter).
do you simply use a longer bolt? It looks like it's possible but my thumb it's a real far reach from the downshift lever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just noticed the Problem Solvers mismatch adapter 1.1 for i-spec b is finally available for $38 +$9 shipping. Getting close in price with the trickstuff matshi for $54 shipped to usa. Nonetheless, there's finally at least 2 competing prices and options.

·
J-Flo
1,742 Posts
So which is the better solution for mounting SRAM XX1 shifter to I-Spec-B XT/XTR brake? The new Problem Solvers or the Matshi?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts