Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up a 14 Stumpjumper FSR and replace the Formula C1's with XT's before I leave the bike shop.

First Question: Will the XT Brakes work with the Formula Rotors that come with the bike, or will I need to buy Shimano rotors?

Second Question: Will the brakes integrate with the sram shifters? What would I need to purchase to make it happen if not?

Also, there seems to be many models of XT's out there and I have zero knowledge on the subject. Would these work? I definitely want the short levers (one finger) that are adjustable. Thanks in advance for the help.

Amazon.com: Shimano Deore XT BL-M785L Disc-Brake Assembled Set: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't see why Formula rotors wouldn't work with XT brakes, unless they do goofy sizing like Avid used to.
To get the XT brakes to integrate with SRAM shifters you'll need these. There are different item #'s depending on what version of I-Spec the brakes are. I-Spec B is the newer one and is most likely what you'd find when buying them now. I'm not sure which brakes you linked to from Amazon are but that'd be worth looking into. I just ordered some XT brakes from Art's Cyclery, and they're the I-Spec B. Their price was a little lower than Amazon's and they ship same day usually.
These will definitely work for you, just a matter of if you're able to match up the SRAM shifters or not I suppose. A quick search could probably turn up the answer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looking at the Problem Solvers page, it seems that the have an adapter that will pair an I-Spec B shifter with an Avid brake, but not one that will pair an SRAM shifter with an I-Spec B brake.

You may want to specifically request the older "non-B" version of the M785's if you plan to do this. They're still available.

I bought one of each this weekend (that's what was in stock and I didn't plan to use the pairing). Other than the mounting bracket they seem to be identical.

·
B A N N E D
5,347 Posts
Looking at the Problem Solvers page, it seems that the have an adapter that will pair an I-Spec B shifter with an Avid brake, but not one that will pair an SRAM shifter with an I-Spec B brake.
They've stuffed up with the description, the MisMatch 1.1 is for fitting a SRAM shifter onto a Shimano I-Spec B brake lever.

·
Here, diagonally!
2,097 Posts
I'm running Alligator round rotors with my XTs and they work great. The Formula rotors should be fine as long as they are the correct size.

·
Magically Delicious
10,186 Posts
When buying the XT's BL-M785 make sure you're ordering the M785's

T785's are the longer trail levers. There has been some confusion about this with some XT purchases.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts