Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Ibis Mojo 3 needed new pads found a good price from an Ebay vendor.

Popped them in like other pad replacements I've done. They work ok but when the back one gets hot sounds like a garbage truck, I tried adjusting it multiple time on the trail when it was hot. I thought I had it but the next ride. I cleaned them and the rotors very thoroughly. Only the back makes this noise. I'm thinking I will swap the front and back to see if it's any better.

It would not surprise me if there is B-stock pads that can be noisy and I got what I paid for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldnt order stuff from e-bay but that's just me
are they OEM pads and not an aftermarket?
Brake pads come in either metal or resin which might explain the noise, with Resin being quieter
Check out the difference between the two. I personally run metal since they last longer
Most impoetantly is making sure you "bed" the new pads into your rotors which look online to find out how, its the same as what you would do on a vehicle of any sorts
hope this helped

·
Class Clown
2,955 Posts
I've been having issues with my rear Zee brake with official Shimano metal pads. It's been humid/wet and they attract alot of dirt and end up with a black layer on them. Then the brake howls and I get that horrible vibration and judder. If I pull the pads and give them a clean it tends to fix temporarily.

I've bought brakes off ebay before, but make sure the seller is reputable.

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,740 Posts
I've been having issues with my rear Zee brake with official Shimano metal pads. It's been humid/wet and they attract alot of dirt and end up with a black layer on them. Then the brake howls and I get that horrible vibration and judder. If I pull the pads and give them a clean it tends to fix temporarily.
Interesting that you mention that. I've got Zee brakes as well and the rear brake does exactly what yours does. Doing a decent sized decent and getting the brake pad get hot seems to make the problem go away, but it's a big of a pain to deal with. Not sure what is happening with the brake pad, but I haven't experienced the same issue with other Shimano brakes and pads before.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldnt order stuff from e-bay but that's just me
are they OEM pads and not an aftermarket?
Brake pads come in either metal or resin which might explain the noise, with Resin being quieter
Check out the difference between the two. I personally run metal since they last longer
Most impoetantly is making sure you "bed" the new pads into your rotors which look online to find out how, its the same as what you would do on a vehicle of any sorts
hope this helped
Just to update this, I had nothing but trouble using those e-bay pads. Everything about them looked the same but when I got new pads from the local bike shop. Everything worked perfect. My guess is the were Chinese knock offs. LIVE AND LEARN!

·
Registered
113 Posts

I've bought brakes off ebay before, but make sure the seller is reputable.
Metallic pads and wetness typically do not mix too well.
Organic is better in that situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts