Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XT brake lever returning slowly. Bled it,lubed it. It looks like the pistons are moving freely. Could it be seals in lever or something else? BTW, didn't search topics because my connection would take too damn long.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
How did you "lube" it, I'm curious and do you do that often? Sounds ot me like the seal in the lever boy for the piston is gone, you could try removing it and cleaning it thoroughly and let it sit outside for a few days to see if that does it. Other than that you're fvcked, as Shimano doesn't sell spares like that, you have to buy a complete lever, good new is, you can buy a lower lever lever to get the parts from, or if you know someone with a broken lever you could ask them for it.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Is this something you do on a regular basis or just this one time because it was sluggish? I don't spray anything on my bike except for lube on my chain and on my pedals springs, all spraying stuff elsewhere does is attract dirt. Most likely your seal is blown out/expanded, it happens, not sure why, as not common among the brakes, but have had it happen on one of my 10 sets of Shimano's, only solution is new seals, work around is to take it out, clean and leave it to dry out a bit.

I just put a few drops of silicone lube on the lever pivot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Perhaps a restriction in the hose or connections? There might be sliver or debris blocking end of the barb in the hose...or something. Lever pivots are not something lubed as a general rule. Dry film lube is probably OK.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this something you do on a regular basis or just this one time because it was sluggish? I don't spray anything on my bike except for lube on my chain and on my pedals springs, all spraying stuff elsewhere does is attract dirt. Most likely your seal is blown out/expanded, it happens, not sure why, as not common among the brakes, but have had it happen on one of my 10 sets of Shimano's, only solution is new seals, work around is to take it out, clean and leave it to dry out a bit.
I only did it this once because of the issue. Looks like I'll be buying a replacement lever or try to fix this one.

G

·
I only did it this once because of the issue. Looks like I'll be buying a replacement lever or try to fix this one.

How old are your brakes? You might be able to warranty them? I think xt brakes have a 1 or 2 year warranty...good luck.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have problems with slow lever return on a bike I bought this spring. Not a lot of definitive answers on a solution after 2 days of searching online. I have replaced the pads and ordered a bleed kit. I'll try an extensive bleed next. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try disassembly of the lever master cylinder unit. Odd thing is; the front brakes work flawlessly. I wonder if a short brake line up front vs longer line in rear, coupled with the smaller fluid reservoir of the lever assembly are a factor with XT M8000 problems?

·
Registered
310 Posts
problem solved

I did some more searching and found my solution. I'll put in as many keywords as I can following, to help others searching; I have a Sram Eagle GX 12 speed shifter under the Shimano XT M8000 brake lever assembly. I had the pin that the brake lever rotates on touching the shifter assembly. Once I swung the shifter up away from the brake assembly the lever snaps back again!

Update: ^pic added showing space between^

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.