Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife complained that her front brake was not working as good as it used to. She also had a flat tire. So we turned the bike upside down to change the tube. Bike was upside down for maybe 10 min.

After being upside down I tried her brake and the level went all the way to the bar!!!

So I decided to bleed the brakes. After bleeding them I tested them and noticed that it seemed like they were still not right. (Did not go all the way to the bar). So I bleed them again and got MORE air out!!!

At this time I'm wondering what is really wrong. I noticed that when pumping the brakes after bleeding it seemed like oil was comming out from the reservoir. The "leak" seemed like it was between the "silver top" and "black bottom". (Circled in the attached photo)

I took it to the LBS and they said everything was fine. I dont believe them. ;-)

What is the construction of these reservoirs? It looks like the torx screw on top holds the top on. I tried to tighten the torx but it seems tight.

Is there a seal in there which is leaking? What can I do to fix these? Do we need to replace the lever/reservoir?

The leak stops after a while but the brake seem soft and I'm 99% sure there is air it again.

Thanks Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle handlebar Carbon Bicycle

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
My front XT seems to have a small leak under the rubber cover. I have re-placed the brass olive a coupe times and it still gets a bit greasy. Funny thing though, is they work fine. Finally bled them after 5-6 years of use. Sorry. This isn't advice, but my experience

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
My front XT seems to have a small leak under the rubber cover. I have re-placed the brass olive a coupe times and it still gets a bit greasy. Funny thing though, is they work fine. Finally bled them after 5-6 years of use. Sorry. This isn't advice, but my experience
I have 2 Shimano levers that weep a little over time (out the side of the lever body). It's pretty slow. Only 1-2 times per year do I need to do a quick lever bleed with the cup, burp a couple bubbles out of there and it's good to go again.

If it dies I'll just replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.