Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new XT M771 off ebay and it didn't come with a barrel adjuster. Doesn't appear as if it is threaded for one either. Did they do away with the adjuster on the derailleur? Am I missing something? Is there an adjuster that works with a 771?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
boomn said:
Yes, they did do away with the adjuster on the derailleur. Just use the one on the shifter
Yeah, the shifter adjusters work fine but it's just a lot more convenient to have the adjuster on the derailleur when you're setting it up or doing a tune up. Guess the few cents it cost them was too much.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
meloh1 said:
Yeah, the shifter adjusters work fine but it's just a lot more convenient to have the adjuster on the derailleur when you're setting it up or doing a tune up. Guess the few cents it cost them was too much.
Depends how you tune I guess. Once I have the limit screws properly set up I do the cable adjustments from the shifter end because I have to use those to test shifting anyway. One hand on the crank and the other on the shifter and barrel adjuster so I can easily make adjustments and test them. Based on my way of doing it, I never saw the point of moving back and forth between the derailleur to adjust and then the shifter to test. I understand that you are annoyed that they have disabled away your preferred method though. SRAM doesn't have 'em either

·
Registered
560 Posts
They usually just broke when you smacked your derailleur on something anyways. Good riddence to the rear derailleur barrel adjuster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts