Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 year old son has a Klein Montra Compe. It has been a great bike for him. So much lighter than a kids bike, decent components (although dated) and really helped his riding and especially climbing. It has an XT 8 speed derailleur and some sort of Shimano shifters. It has always taken a fair amount of effort to downshift. Lately it has become very hard for him to get on the lowest cog. So hard that to him it feels like the shifter is pegged and he is in the lowest gear. He doesn't realize he has another gear until I point it out. I have cleaned the cable, pulled apart the shifter to inspect and even put a few drops of oil on it. When the cable is unhooked the derailleur moves smoothly and easily. Part of the issue is his hand doesn't have the reach and power of an adult but it also feels hard to shift to me. I can do it but it is not easy. Two questions - 1) what might I try to fix or tune (new cable?) and 2) what would be a good replacement shiftter that's compatible with an XT 8 speed derailleur that would shift easier or provide more leverage? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.