Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I f'd up. After years of SRAM, I switched to XT on my new sled. I like to wax my chain, which means taking it off the bike. With SRAM chains, no big deal.

With XT however, Shimano says over and over you can just use the quicklink once. Thats...ONE TIME ! WTF ? They are also expensive af if I buy a new one each time I have to wax...like $10++.

Is this just legal CYA or can the Shimano quicklinks be re-used ? Alternativly there is a Wipperman link that be can be used ove rand over, but thats $25++.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
SRAM states single use of their Powerlock 11 speed chain connectors. I have used Sram Powerlocks on my last hand-full of chains. If you remove them more than a few times you will notice they become easier to remove which is probably not a good thing.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The problem with reuse is that when removing the link you can stress the connection between a quick link pin and the side plate it's attached to. Using quick link pliers helps reduce the possibility of that happening because it places forces on the center of both pins when removing the link. Squeezing the link diagonally with pliers puts all the stress on the pin/plate junctions.

Some quick links, like SRAM 9. don't snap into place and are pretty easy to remove without stressing that junction. 10 speed and higher Sram links snap into place. All the new Shimano quick links do too.

Personally I reuse all quick links for the life of the chain, which for me might be 2 to 4 times.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,609 Posts
SRAM states single use of their Powerlock 11 speed chain connectors. I have used Sram Powerlocks on my last hand-full of chains. If you remove them more than a few times you will notice they become easier to remove which is probably not a good thing.
Yep. You're probably fine reusing a non-reusable quick link a couple of times but they DO wear out. SRAM has gone single-use with their links, too. Might have been 11spd when they did that.

The Wippermann link is what you need if you want a truly reusable link, though. I've used them for years.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
I converted one of my bikes to a single speed. After a couple rides I decided to drop to a smaller cog. When I removed the Powerlock one of the pins fell out of the outer plate. Single speeding has me really putting down the torque and I could only imagine if that chain popped on a torqued out climb.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
When you re-attach it you can feel the resistance as it clicks in. If it still feels tight I'll leave it on. I use them for a life of a chain. What is the point of a ql if you can only use it ONCE? That just lawyer cya stuff like having a minimum inflation pressure of 44 psi on a tubeless tire. Just laughable.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I've used many 9 speed and 8 speed quick links that don't click at all, can easily be removed by hand and have no tendency to come undone on their own. In use, they're only ever under tension. IDK why 10 and higher click, but if the click lessens after a few removals and installations, I don't feel that's an issue. Loose pins would be troubling.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I've used many 9 speed and 8 speed quick links that don't click at all, can easily be removed by hand and have no tendency to come undone on their own. In use, they're only ever under tension. IDK why 10 and higher click, but if the click lessens after a few removals and installations, I don't feel that's an issue. Loose pins would be troubling.
Only in tension when they're being shifted?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I remove my chain at least weekly during a thorough clean (w/ mineral spirits) and have been doing that for quite a few years re-using the same ole KMC missing link for the entire life of each chain. New chain, new quick link. I've not once had a chain fail at the quick link.. I'm not sure how removing the link frequently would make it any more susceptible to breaking than anything else you put it through. It's not like link is even remotely in danger of opening when there's even at least the slightest bit of tension from the derailleur anyhow regardless of how much easier it gets to separate. I've always filed this as one of those odd industry "rules" that never made any sense.. some folks are overly cautious about the wrong stuff but to each his/her own as long as you're having fun.
I will add that the majority of my last 4-5 years have been on KMC chains.. 10/11/12 speeds. I've never snapped a KMC but had some serious issues with Shimano (primarily XTR) chains failing and have had a few SRAM chains stretch out of spec extremely quickly.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I used to do that for years. Then the link has undone itsself and took the rear mech with it. Since then - I do reuse the links, but I make sure that they are snug when reassembling the chain.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle part Spoke

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.