Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaning toward putting an XR4 2.4 on the front of my long travel 29er but going back and forth as to whether I should go with the 2.6. Anyone have experience running the 2.4 and/or 2.6 on the front ? Is the 2.4 noticeably faster, but with good up front traction ? Coming from a DHF 2.5.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had a 2.5wt DHF on the front of my 140mm travel Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol 29er. My rims are I9 BC360 (i36mm) and my fork is an MRP Ribbon Air. I didn't like the tire at all. There was no grip at moderate lean angles. Also the tire is heavy and slow up hill. I don't do any lift access. I work for the decent.

I went straight for the big boy ... XR4 29x3. I love it. It's fast rolling and grippy. The turn in is very smooth. If it does slide it's very productive and easy to control. I only run 10.5psi, however it's a plus tire.

I would suggest using the largest tire your fork and rim will handle.

Overall this is the best front tire I've had.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 2.5wt DHF on the front of my 140mm travel Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol 29er. My rims are I9 BC360 (i36mm) and my fork is an MRP Ribbon Air. I didn't like the tire at all. There was no grip at moderate lean angles. Also the tire is heavy and slow up hill. I don't do any lift access. I work for the decent.

I went straight for the big boy ... XR4 29x3. I love it. It's fast rolling and grippy. The turn in is very smooth. If it does slide it's very productive and easy to control. I only run 10.5psi, however it's a plus tire.

I would suggest using the largest tire your fork and rim will handle.

Overall this is the best front tire I've had.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Good info. I might order the 2.6. Should work well with 160 fork and 30mm rims.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I'm running a 2.6 XR4 on the front of my hardtail right now but I'm probably going to go back to a 2.4 DHR2 when it's time. The XR4 rolls well, it's predictable when it slides, and it has pretty decent traction. However, it feels imprecise. That probably partially due to the size but also the lack of transition zone. I can't tell when I'm on the cornering knobs like on a Minion. Also, I killed my first XR4 pinch flatting in a rock garden I ride every week and haven't I had any issue on other tires in that section.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Installed the XR4 2.6 on front and 2.4 on rear. Went for a ride yesterday and was unimpressed. I thought the combo rolled slower with a lot less traction... couldn't wait for the ride to be over so I could re-install my DHF (2.5) / AGG (2.3).

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have xr4 on the rear of my 29er hardtail and 27.5 FS.
The hardtail has an xr5 up front and the FS has a DHF 2.5wt up front.

I really like both combos. I feel like having transition knobs on the rear helps technical climbing and the fact that I'm not always as accurate/aware of my rear tire's exact location.

I feel like it climbs better than a DHR maxterra, oddly enough. Really like it as a rear tire.

I can see it not being a great front tire depending on riding style, it wouldn't be my first choice that's for sure. I like having big, defined cornering knobs on the front so I can throw the front of the bike into a turn and know those suckers will bite (most of the time).

The DHF is certainly knobbier than the xr5/SE5 but I think they are in the same class. DHF is better on anything loose and has more cornering knobs bite, xr5 has better braking traction and better on roots or rock faces.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Update: Installed the XR4 2.6 on front and 2.4 on rear. Went for a ride yesterday and was unimpressed. I thought the combo rolled slower with a lot less traction... couldn't wait for the ride to be over so I could re-install my DHF (2.5) / AGG (2.3).
what kind of trail conditions?

The XR4 does have less traction than a DHF, or Aggressor, even on the hardpack and loose over hard it was designed for. But it rolls significantly faster than either of them. glad to hear that Trek / Bontrager stood by their satisfaction guarantee.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.