Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the brake forum:

Curious if anyone knows the answer to this question. Can you mate the XT hydraulic hose to Magura Louise FR brake? Hope specs Kit 8 to fit both Magura Gustav and Shimano brakes. Claims both have a M6 connector on one end and an M8 on the other. Kit ain't cheap. Shimano kit is cheaper and I'm wondering if it will work.

The reason I am inquiring is that I just got a Post Mount fork. I've got a 210mm IS Louise FR setup up front, which is impossible to convert to Post Mount. I need a new caliper and a bracket. I found a 2004 Louise FR setup on clearance, where the only difference is a non-wavy rotor. The problem is that the hose has a 0 degree out, and I want a 90deg out, so my hose doesn't stick out so much. Going with Hope kit for Gustav would to that, but it is very pricey, going with Shimano is much cheaper.

_MK

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Search for my Goodridge post. I think I mention in there what kit I used (108?). The kit is for multiple brakes which will tell you which fittings work on which systems (look at BTI or Speedgoat for Goodridge info). Whether or not the lever moves the correct volume of fluid to make for good braking at the mismatched caliper is another issue.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tscheezy said:
Search for my Goodridge post. I think I mention in there what kit I used (108?). The kit is for multiple brakes which will tell you which fittings work on which systems (look at BTI or Speedgoat for Goodridge info). Whether or not the lever moves the correct volume of fluid to make for good braking at the mismatched caliper is another issue.
This will be a good backup way to verify the clues I got from Hope's kit. Thanks. The caliper will still be Louise FR, except that it will be the one with short legs (160mm rotor) vs the one with long legs (180mm rotor).

On a side note, around June, Magura will be rolling out 200mm rotors and brake setups.

_MK

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
possible?

Just when I thought I had seen it all I am in the back of a bike shop picking up a cruiser for a Christmas present and see a couple Turner's the shop manager owns with Shimano XTR calipers and Hayes Mag Carbon ti levers! Yep. 2 bikes set up that way. The levers are super light. He runs Dot 4 in them, as mineral oil hurt the seals in the Hayes but the Dot does not effect the Shimano. Something new to think about.

DT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts