Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Proper tension and stress relief are critical to a wheel's strength and longevity. Go with the handbuilt, especially if your have reason to believe the builders do a good job.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I checked this thread last night and no one had responded so I went ahead and ordered the Pricepoint wheelset. I fully understand the value of the well built wheelset but I was hoping to save some money with the Pricepoint wheelset. I didn't even catch that these were 15g spokes on the wheels. Pricepoint lists the weight of the wheelset at 2331g while BWW estimates their wheelset at 2125g.

Update:
Just realized that 15g (1.8mm) spokes are lighter/thinner than 14g (2.0mm) spokes. The 15g spokes are probably wheelsmith spokes at 342g (64 spokes @ 262mm) while the BWW could be spec'ed with DT Comps at 382 g (64 pcs @ 264 mm).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get handbuilt. If you don't, at least have the wheels properly de-stressed and tensioned and trued before you ride. I have done that and then machine built wheels will hold up pretty good, just not as good as handbuilt.

I build my own, but if I didn't, I would buy handbuilt. So much nicer :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.