Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at some new Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals to drop weight form the 959s.
I am 157lb and ride/race aggressive XC on a FS.

Thoughts on durability, function (clipping in/out, float). I've read some and found mixed evals. on the Ti/mags. Is the Ti/Ti version better when it comes to breakage, losing parts, etc.

Otherwise I'll do EB Ti but those are claimed weight of 230gm instead of the Xpedo 198gm.

Thx.

L.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just got my xpedo Ti/Ti's last week, haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet since its nasty a$$ winter in Ohio. :mad:

I've always liked spd type pedals since I can make the unclamping force very light for my right foot since my knee is all tore up.

Mine actually weigh 204.5g instead of the advertised 198g. Nothing burns me more than mfg weights not being what they actually are. My guess is that they are weighing everything without grease :confused:

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you plan to use them for light XC or what? I am trying to determine will these hold up to real trail usage, not freeride, jusr aggressive Xc riding/racing.

Thx.

Good luck with the weather up there. Been there, done that!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I plan on using these for xc racing only. They look pretty solid from just initial inspection and I could probably use them for all around riding (I'm not very hard on equipment, unless i wreck) My guess is that they would be stronger than the mag versions just because Titanium is stronger than Magnesium. I'll let you know how I like em when if ever we get any above 40 degrees days up here

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've been using the X-pedo Ti/Ti for 16 months now, and they have worked Ok
I parctice All-mountain, or agresive XC, and weight 90Kg, and no problems.

Just you have to regrease the internal bushing, I do it every two months, although now they have some play, and I'm going to order bushings replacement.

The ones that broke were the Mag/ti. The Ti/Ti as they have the wing were the spring seats of titanium, does not break.

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cleat

STS said:
I've been using the X-pedo Ti/Ti for 16 months now, and they have worked Ok
I parctice All-mountain, or agresive XC, and weight 90Kg, and no problems.

Just you have to regrease the internal bushing, I do it every two months, although now they have some play, and I'm going to order bushings replacement.

The ones that broke were the Mag/ti. The Ti/Ti as they have the wing were the spring seats of titanium, does not break.
Thanks for the input.
How much are you paying for bushing replacements?
Can I use the same 959 cleat on this or does it have its own cleat style/shape? Not a big issue but it would be nice if that were the case.

Later.
Linerider

·
Registered
531 Posts
linerider said:
Thanks for the input.
How much are you paying for bushing replacements?
Can I use the same 959 cleat on this or does it have its own cleat style/shape? Not a big issue but it would be nice if that were the case.

Later.
Linerider
I've still not ordered the bushings, but it's a cheap replacement

You can perfectly use your Shimano cleats.
They come with a clone of the Shimano cleats

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
cheaper....

linerider said:
I'm looking at some new Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals to drop weight form the 959s.
I am 157lb and ride/race aggressive XC on a FS.

Thoughts on durability, function (clipping in/out, float). I've read some and found mixed evals. on the Ti/mags. Is the Ti/Ti version better when it comes to breakage, losing parts, etc.

Otherwise I'll do EB Ti but those are claimed weight of 230gm instead of the Xpedo 198gm.

Thx.

L.
i'd opt for the Exustar E-PM25 Ti pedals instead which you can get cheaper:

207-210g
ti spindle
magnesium body
100% SPD compatible
adjustable entry/release
performance on par to XTR

ok - since i sell them i might seem biased but they are really a perfect choice for the enthusiasts out there:
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=93980&query=retrieval

Attachments

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
breakage

nino said:
i'd opt for the Exustar E-PM25 Ti pedals instead which you can get cheaper:

magnesium body
100% SPD compatibleok - since i sell them i might seem biased but they are really a perfect choice for the enthusiasts out there:
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=93980&query=retrieval
Hey nino,
Those appear to have the same mag. component bits that I have read tend to break. Am I seeing incorrectly? I believe the areas where the cleat actually clip in.

Help me understand this issue if you can.

Thx.
L.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
linerider said:
Hey nino,
Those appear to have the same mag. component bits that I have read tend to break. Am I seeing incorrectly? I believe the areas where the cleat actually clip in.

Help me understand this issue if you can.

Thx.
L.
i know of this problem on the Xpedos. i never heard of similar problems with the Exustar. the body has a different design and not so exposed bits.

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might go for Exustar

nino said:
i know of this problem on the Xpedos. i never heard of similar problems with the Exustar. the body has a different design and not so exposed bits.
...if the breakage problems were as you say.
1. Rider weight limits? I am 157 or so and race. Will be doing 10-15 races in addition too training and rec. riding this year so they WILL get heavy use. Durability - how do you really feel about them? And yes, I understand you do sell them.
2. I assume the same SPD cleat works on these too? the pedal pattern looks very similar.

Thanks again.

L.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
severals...

carlos said:
wwwoooooowwwwwww! nino bought an ad !!!!!! things are really starting to change here.... :eek:
it seems you didn't follow the classifieds. i had several ads this year. right now i have also the Vuelta v-brakes and Eclipse Tubelesskits in the classifieds:
Vuelta Magnesium V-Brake:
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=95971&query=retrieval
Eclipse Tubelesskits:
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=93038&query=retrieval

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
whatever!

nino said:
it seems you didn't follow the classifieds. i had several ads this year. right now i have also the Vuelta v-brakes and Eclipse Tubelesskits in the classifieds:
Vuelta Magnesium V-Brake:
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=95971&query=retrieval
Eclipse Tubelesskits:
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=93038&query=retrieval
Never mind the bad mouthing.
I still needs answers and you have given some. Like I said, I may or may not go for those - same as I may or may not buy EBs as another option. None the less, I would appreciate you answering the questions I have for your product to help me do my research.

People just can't lay off can they? Forums are all about people getting info and others getting business...it's the way of the world/internet.

L.

·
Registered
432 Posts
my friend is 140 lbs and broke his xpedos

my friend has mag/tis and broke his. we were riding and they spring came out on one side of the pedal. then as he kept riding on the other side that side fell out. they stuck to their warranty, but its still a pain. he only weighs 140 lbs and doesn't ride hard at all!
i would stay away
-mpap

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
linerider said:
...if the breakage problems were as you say.
1. Rider weight limits? I am 157 or so and race. Will be doing 10-15 races in addition too training and rec. riding this year so they WILL get heavy use. Durability - how do you really feel about them? And yes, I understand you do sell them.
2. I assume the same SPD cleat works on these too? the pedal pattern looks very similar.

Thanks again.

L.
1. weight limit is 90 kilos. they are as durable as any other pedal out there (not as durable as shimano but then these are unbeatable anyway). i never got any complaints so far. people are amazed of the way they perform and of their low weight.

2. they are 100% SPD compatible. ...means shimano cleats fit perfectly.

i'm about to get a tuningkit for the Exustars which will drop the weight to just 190g! pictured below Ti-kitted Exustars, my kit will have Aluminium bolts instead.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Jersey said:
nino:
if you get a Ti kit to sell for the Exustars will the bolts match the originals perfectly?
the Ti bolts in the pic above dont seem to fit quite right in the pedals....
the pic above isn't mine. these are bolts made for another pedal that didn't fit perfectly. but it shows what's possible just by changng some bolts...

my aluminium-kits sure will fit perfectly and will be even lighter.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
no fasteners...

Jersey said:
will you be offering a Titanium bolt kit perhaps?
could you have one specialy made?

i have this deeprooted fear of Al fasteners. dont try to convince me, its very strange :)
look closer!
these bolts aren't fasteners. they are spring-axle and adjustement bolts. there is no tension on them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.