Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this. I guess the pedals are officially a part of the drivetrain, but anyway - I'll ask here. I put on a new set of Xpedo stainless steel pedals for the race yesterday and ran them in the race where they worked fine and dandy.

Took the bike out for a recovery ride today, and noticed silver/gray grease oozing out where the spindle meets the clipless binding portion of the pedal. Pictures below show this grease. I don't know if that is an ordinary situation in the breaking in process, but it doesn't look good. Pedal still rotates smooth and easy and I don't feel in bearing rub (yet). Of course, the 1-800 # was closed for the day even though I reached them in business hours. I will try again tomorrow. In the meantime, I thought I would post some pics and see if any of you can jog your memories of a similar thing in any pedal you have ever used. Or even better yet - the Xpedo series. I've never had any Shimano pedal ooze grease.

Below is the offending pedal with the ooze....

Thanks for any advice help.

BB

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Reminds me of the joke about the penguin that just got done eating an ice cream cone on his way to seeing what was wrong with his car at the repair shop. Upon entering the shop the mechanic said "Looks like you blew a seal" and the penguin replied, "Na, it's only ice cream"

The inner seals should not allow for that to happen, unless someone just got heavy on the assembly line with the grease and it had no choice but to go past them. Try wiping the excess off and riding some more to see if more comes out. It is doubtful that you will burn a bearing trying this. If they are rebuildable you may want to just take them apart and inspect? Pretty disappointing scenario though for new gear.......

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bigwheel said:
Reminds me of the joke about the penguin that just got done eating an ice cream cone on his way to seeing what was wrong with his car at the repair shop. Upon entering the shop the mechanic said "Looks like you blew a seal" and the penguin replied, "Na, it's only ice cream"

The inner seals should not allow for that to happen, unless someone just got heavy on the assembly line with the grease and it had no choice but to go past them. Try wiping the excess off and riding some more to see if more comes out. It is doubtful that you will burn a bearing trying this. If they are rebuildable you may want to just take them apart and inspect? Pretty disappointing scenario though for new gear.......
Thanks for the reply. By the way, nice penguin joke, Bob. :D

You were right that the assembly line may have gotten heavy on the grease. Xpedo responded to me:

=====
...We think you made a great decision on pedals.* The oozing is not something we are too worried about.* Since they are new and it is sometimes hard to regulate exact amount of grease this could just be excess.

*Wipe it down and check for side to side or up and down play in the pedal.* If there is some please advise.*

Otherwise enjoy!
Thanks
=====

As there is no side to side or up and down play in the pedal, I have to go with the oozing grease simply be excess. I'll wipe it down and continue to ride the pedal for now.

BB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.