Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is rear-deraileur suspension good or bad?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen this video referenced in a bunch of threads... check it out:

Okay... The XO deraileur is obviously more still. Is this good or bad? It has been suggested that the "suspension" in the XTR deraileur might be good.

Now that I've seen the video about a hundred times, I find myself watching the chain - not the deraileur. I can't really tell which chain has more slap.

So... what do you think? Take the poll...

Is deraileur "suspension" good or bad?

·
Registered
218 Posts
nice video

XO seems to run really smooth when you can't see the upper part of the chain. It looks like it would make less noise and shift smoother without all the movement, but the chain is slapping the stay much more with the XO rd. BUT... the XTR rd buffers out all the chain slap and absorbs all the excess energy transfered. I think this may compromise the shifting a little... which now leads me to think most people blaming XTR for less crisp shifting than XO are not taking this derailleur suspension into consideration and end up with more chain slap. Just a hunch. -CK

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point

... so the XTR suspension might help keep the top of the chain taught. I see how that could be true.

This chain isn't under any pedaling tension. Since the top of the chain is doing all the "pulling" while pedaling, I would guess the XTR suspension couldn't possibly contribute to keeping the top part of the chain taught.

So... maybe the advantage of the "suspension" is confined to less chain-slap.

... still undecided....

·
Registered
874 Posts
The video didn't play right for me but the guy should have been pedaling to get the real feel for what is going on. You can't shift when you not pedaling so what's he showing us? What your chain does when you're coasting over rough terrain?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4212darren said:
The video didn't play right for me but the guy should have been pedaling to get the real feel for what is going on. You can't shift when you not pedaling so what's he showing us? What your chain does when you're coasting over rough terrain?
That's exactly what he's showing us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.