Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts? I just rode an HD with X9...my first time experiencing any SRAM stuff...Ive been a shimano man all my life. Loved the X9!!! Any thoughts on the XO stuff for a burly bike like the HD?
Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
My HD's running X0 now throughout, it's strong, light and looks a million $. I moved from XTR sometime ago on the majority of parts as I couldn't match the reliability of crisp shifting when comparing to the XTR on my other bike. I've no experience of SRAM X0 chainsets though, but do run a SRAM chainset in the form of a Truvativ Noir on my hardtail. For me, the XTR chainsets take some beating for slickness of shifting, but it's not pretty looking at the cost and even less pretty to cost out a replacement set of rings.... $$$
I haven't tried the latest gen of XTR but until XX, X0 was always completely up there (better IMHO) with XTR.
Go SRAM, if u look smart and aren't bothered about having 10x setup, you can get previous gen X0 for cheap now and it's superb.
Happy trails on the HD, great choice of ride :)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Just upgraded my SL to XT Dynasys 10sp.... it's REALLY nice. They've taken a step toward SRAM in the shifting feel department....rear shifting has a much more pronounced CLACK, but it still feels lighter and more refined, which was always an area where Shimano was tops IMO, and now even more so. I also prefer Shimano's trigger setup, where you can shift it with your forefinger or thumb. I was really surprised at how much improved the shifting is over my not-very-old 9sp XT... .I thought I was just getting a 10th extra low cog, but the improvements go deeper than that.
They're both so good, and opinions are so divided.... you could probably just pick based on shifter feel and cosmetics and be a happy camper either way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well--- lifetime xt/xtr guy.. Just switched to 2011 XO 2x10 for my new HD.. Happy as can be.. Dont see myself going back to shimano for a while... I will say it took a little getting used to the XO shifters(dual thumb vs xtr thumb and forefinger).. But now im right at home with it.. Stuff seems built very well-- shifts great-- overall--- joy

Now that i have ridden it for a while-- if i was to do it all over again.. Id still get the XO setup..

·
youenjoymyself
79 Posts
I'm considering the XO for the HD as well (if I pull the trigger on a new bike this season) and am pretty concerned with having carbon cranks. has anyone experienced any issues with rock strikes while pedaling? smashing cranks in rock gardens is pretty inevitable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Scott, I just ordered an HD from The Bike Company in Lake Forest, CA and was having the same consideration as you. Bike Co. has a promo running that is a free upgrade to the Crank Bros. Iodine's in black rim/gold hub with the XT build kit. This helped me make up my mind. They said the promo will last until they are out of those wheels. I actually ended up using the credit for the Iodine upgrade towards building a set of CK/Stans wheels. Hit them up.

-Clayton

·
The Cheater
552 Posts
Lots of my friends just built HDs with X0 30 speeds. They loved it but my mechanic said the X0 is way flimsier than the X9 as he has seen plenty RDs got bent and trashed. I haven't experienced anything like and I've been using my good old X0 for about a year. The X9 on the the other bike however needs replacing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.