Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OverTheHill said:
MtbMacgyver,

I suppose that you are not running the XML for any length of time yet but do you have a feel for what the heat build-up is likely to be like driving it at 3A?
You're right that I haven't been running them for an extended period of time yet, but I have been surprised that my test jig isn't even getting warm. I was expected more heat with it running at 3 amps.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
More progress on my XML light build.

Here's my test jig for the cute-ss triple

The LEDs, MCPCBs and aluminum carrier with positioning holes for the optic

and the all important beam shot. It's obviously wider with the XML vs the XPG, but when you're dealing with 3000 lumens a little wide isn't a bad thing. Look at how much throw it still has. You can see the little trees in the distance better than with any of the other lights.

here's the same optic with XPG R5s from above. I'll put it here so you can see side by side.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Homebrew said:
Looks great! I really like the warmer color too! When can we catch up for a ride?
Yeah, I have some fairly warm tints as well as some cooler tints. Still can't decide which I like better. Yeah, we need to hook up for a ride. I rode this morning while the trails were still frozen. The next few days will be a real mess with everything melting and not cold enough at night to freeze the ground.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
And my first finished XML based light. I just made modifications to the CNC files for my XPG triple case and cranked a few out. It's pretty amazing to have this kind of light output in a 78 gram light head.

Next I'm going to work on an XML single either based on the Regina or LXP optic. I'd like to come up with a design that'll take either optic. That way I'll have more beam choices for bar and helmet.

-

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
troutie-mtb said:
ThatS very impresive so the XML is at full 3 amp ?
Whats the drive for the xpg pic

Any chance of a shot with the xmls at 1.5amps
The same as if using a B2Flex

I would do it myself. But no leds yet :madman:
Yes, that beamshot is at a full 3 amps running off an h6flex. Sure, I can grab a beamshot running off an b2flex. The XPG pic is at 1A.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow, that's a beauty, a real work of art. It's also a staggering amount of light from such a neat little head unit.

I can't see much space for the h6flex and switch - is that mounted remotely?

·
Registered
716 Posts
..Yikes!! :yikes: just love that cute ss beam pattern!
Thanks for the beamshots and comparisons!
.:) .... you know, that test jig would make for a dead simple DIY light!
smaller profile, couple of end caps, glue the leds straight on the profile
and a piece of clear acrylic tube round the optic ...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
JezV said:
Wow, that's a beauty, a real work of art. It's also a staggering amount of light from such a neat little head unit.

I can't see much space for the h6flex and switch - is that mounted remotely?
The case has a driver in it behind the LEDs. The metal button on the top of the case presses a button on the driver board. You can look back at this thread if you want to see details of how the driver mounts.

I actually have this setup in two configurations right now. In one configuration the driver is in the light head and the drive current is 2 amps. In the other configuration, the h6flex is in the battery pack and the drive current is 3 amps.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
OverTheHill said:
I would also be very interested in seeing the build with the LXP-RS as it's my optic of choice for the XP-G.
Yeah, the LXP-RS is one of my favorite optics as well. On an XPG, I like it better than the Regina because of the smoothness of the pattern and it's nearly as tight as the Regina. So far I've only tested that optic inside with a ceiling shot. I'll post up the picture when I get that outside for a descent beam shot.

·
Registered
453 Posts
MtbMacgyver said:
and the all important beam shot. It's obviously wider with the XML vs the XPG, but when you're dealing with 3000 lumens a little wide isn't a bad thing. Look at how much throw it still has. You can see the little trees in the distance better than with any of the other lights.

here's the same optic with XPG R5s from above. I'll put it here so you can see side by side.
Bad comparison, IMHO, that's like comparing cherries to watermelons.
30W XM-L vs. 9W XP-G
With such lumen outputs it's time to use oval optics.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
zemike said:
Bad comparison, IMHO, that's like comparing cherries to watermelons.
30W XM-L vs. 9W XP-G
With such lumen outputs it's time to use oval optics.
Yes, in a lot of ways it's a totally unfair comparison. But, it depends on what you think the limiting factor is for your bike light. Size and weight of the light head, size weight of the battery pack, cost of the light. For me personally, the only limitation I really care about is the weight of the light head. Due to some neck issues, I simply can't ride with much weight on my head. I don't really care that much about any other factors. The 30W XM-L and 9W XPG light heads being compared here are the same size and weight.

With that being said, I seriously doubt I'll end up using a triple XM-L based light for myself. It's simply more light output than I really want. I haven't figured out a way to test this yet, but I suspect the triple XML light is so bright that your eyes actually dilate to compensate. If that's the case, it's going to make life tough for your riding buddies. I'm really just playing around with what's possible because it's fun.

I think the XML is significant because it's going to make it very easy to build reasonably sized light heads that can easily produce more light than anyone really needs. So, it's going to be interesting to see what happens. Will people start to care more about cost, size, weight, or lumens. The technology isn't going to be the limiting factor much longer.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.