Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wanted to ask fellow IP -057 frame and fork users for some advise. I was trying to install the headset that the frame came with fsa, but everytime I tighten the top cap there is binding from the top and bottom assembly so a fellow mtbr member advised me to either out a shim on the top assembly or get the came creek 40 is42 which I did and also bought the matching bottom assembly which is IS52-40.
I installed the headset top and it fits perfectly but the bottom part the crown race from cane creek wont fit on the steertube.
I decided to use the bottom assembly from fsa and the bottom part has the binding issue.
Any suggestions or advise on how to resolve?
below is the picture of the cane creek I purchased

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
Are you aware that the top cap is for bearing adjustment only? If you tighten it very much at all the bearings will bind.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am aware, I didnt tighten it that much but still the bindings are there and so as play of the headset.

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
Got it. From your description it seems like you may have something out of order or missing, maybe you could post some pictures?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ill try to take pictures of the headset parts, still at work. The top part is ok and working as it should, the bottom part is the problem. I use the fsa that I bought from xmiplay and thats the one causes the bindings, I tried to ise the cane creek lower assembly but cannot install the crown race because it wont fit. I dont know if I should force the crown race to sit in or use a sand paper on the steertube to where the crown race supposed to go.
I wanted to try and use the cane creek lower assembly because the crown race seems thicker than the one from fsa and thinking it might solve the binding issue.

Should I force the cane creek crown race to sit all the way (there's atleast an inch or inch and a half from the crown race stops to the bottom of the tube)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the picture to where the crown race for the cane creek lower assembly. Thats the farthest it could go. So what I did is I just used the bottom bearing for the cane creek and used the fsa crown race that came with the frame, the top headset I used the cane creek one and so far the binding is gone but I can only tighten the top cap to a certain point so there would be no binding and play between the fork and the headset. Hope I wont run into problems in the future when I start to ride the bike. Any opinions on the proceduce I just did would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
You can't generally mix and match headset parts, use matching bearings and races. You need a tool to seat that crown race in the picture, plus it's upside down. Don't ride that bike until you get this settled.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can't generally mix and match headset parts, use matching bearings and races. You need a tool to seat that crown race in the picture, plus it's upside down. Don't ride that bike until you get this settled.
I tried the pcv and hammer, it wont go all the way down.
I jusy followed cane creeks manual and it shows I have to place it like that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Correct, but looking at the picture you've sent seems like its upside down. Please correct me if I'm wrong (don't have CC headset), but I believe the blue rubber thingy suppose to seal contaminants from the bottom bearing.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct, but looking at the picture you've sent seems like its upside down. Please correct me if I'm wrong (don't have CC headset), but I believe the blue rubber thingy suppose to seal contaminants from the bottom bearing.
Yeah the blue seal is facing up to seal the bearing. I just followed the instruction that came with the product

And heres a video also
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FVnBTXrRbxqZwc9ww&sig2=pj1Cf--Yf9P5AWLDU63rcw

·
Registered
15,109 Posts
You may be right on the crown race. You can easily tell by checking the bearing/race interface, one way will fit perfectly and the other won't. I'm just looking at a blurry picture with crappy eyes.

Regardless I wouldn't do it like the guy in that video, I would follow these instructions-

Tech Center | Headsets | Service Videos

The fork legs shouldn't rest on the ground while setting the race. Also grease is your friend, along with a real crown race setting tool. It may be worthwhile to run it by a lbs and have them check it out if that is an option.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You may be right on the crown race. You can easily tell by checking the bearing/race interface, one way will fit perfectly and the other won't. I'm just looking at a blurry picture with crappy eyes.

Regardless I wouldn't do it like the guy in that video, I would follow these instructions-

Tech Center | Headsets | Service Videos

The fork legs shouldn't rest on the ground while setting the race. Also grease is your friend, along with a real crown race setting tool. It may be worthwhile to run it by a lbs and have them check it out if that is an option.
Thats what I will do, might as well bring it to an lbs near me because im also not sure about the tight fitting of the race.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Take a peek at this Cane Creek vid about headset install. Tech Center | Headsets | Service Videos

The tapered side MUST go up. If you have any doubts and have a LBS near, take it in with a six pack of barley pops and I bet they seat it on while you wait.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts