Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
mtnjam
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to go tubeless with this setup, but I can't seem to get the traction ridges near the rim to seal using Stan's. I know this is not the ideal setup for UST, but I have been trying and can't seem to get it to work. I followed the instructions on Stan's and some instructions I found on here.

Any suggestions

G

·
ryman said:
Trying to go tubeless with this setup, but I can't seem to get the traction ridges near the rim to seal using Stan's. I know this is not the ideal setup for UST, but I have been trying and can't seem to get it to work. I followed the instructions on Stan's and some instructions I found on here.

Any suggestions
My suggestion would be not to use the BG on the 819. I have tried precisely the same thing with a 2.3 and cannot get it to seal, even using a double dose of Stan's.

However, one thing you might want to try which was recommended to me (by, I think, Squeaky Wheel), is to first inflate with a tube; then let it sit for an hour or so; deflate; take the tube out; then inflate as you did before with Stan's. Doing it this way I actually thought at first that I had got it to seal - the tube part helps get all the kinks out and shape the tire. But pretty soon I had the same problem. I am sincerely hoping that Kenda comes out with a UST BG in a 2.3 as I love the tire and actually use it tubeless on a non-UST rim which, believe it or not, it seals perfectly on!! Until then, I am searching for a good UST front tire in a 2.3 which is why I have posted some other threads on that question recently.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my BG Lite on Velocity VXC rims. In the past I've successfully mounted Hutchinson, Conti, and Panaracer tubed tires in a DIY tubless setup (same rims) but these Kendas are a real PITA!

It's a shame because they're great tires, I just want to remove some of the harshness, bounce, weight, and rolling resistance that tubes are known for.

Looking at the tire, it's pretty loose on the rim. Also, the bead doesn't really snap into place with the tubes. So trying the trick of inflating with first with tubed and then unlocking 1 bead to help seal tubless doesn't work. Soapy water and a very high pressure pump didn't work either... :-(

·
mtnjam
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another question

well looks like it's back to tubes for me for now.

I have some tubes that are 2.3 to 3.0, but they aren't self healing. Any way to make them self-healing? The tubes I got don't have a removable stem core so I might me outta luck. I tried to fill them with a bottle of slime but I just ended up getting it all over the place...

I heard something from Shiggy about Kenda making UST BG's or NG's, but I don't know if they are 2.3's.

G

·
ryman said:
well looks like it's back to tubes for me for now.

I have some tubes that are 2.3 to 3.0, but they aren't self healing. Any way to make them self-healing? The tubes I got don't have a removable stem core so I might me outta luck. I tried to fill them with a bottle of slime but I just ended up getting it all over the place...

I heard something from Shiggy about Kenda making UST BG's or NG's, but I don't know if they are 2.3's.
Tubes with an 819?? Why? - Just use a tire that is meant for the rim - ie., a UST tire.

As for the Kendas - I know of a UST Nev but I think it comes only in a 2.1?

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
I've been running 2.35 Blue Grooves & Nevegals tubeless on my XM819. Setup can be a bit tricky, but it's very much do-able.

A few tricks I've learned:
- First mount the tire with a tube. Inflate to around 45 & leave it there for an hour or so. This helps to stretch the tire out to proper shape and makes sealing it later easier. Remove the tube (obviously) and then remount the tire tubeless.
- Add 2 full scoops for the 2.35 size & inflate. Hold the wheel vertically. Using short up & down strokes, jerk the wheel back & forth so that the goop gets up to the rim-tire sidewall interface. Slowly rotate the wheel around while doing this so that you know you've covered all the areas.
- After doing one side, lay the wheel on an open garbage can or sink so that it is parallel to the floor and let is sit there for 10 minutes. Whichever face of the wheel you were working on in the above step is the face that should be placed down.
- Repeat the above 2 steps on the other side
- Ride it around a little bit & repeat above

Sounds like a PITA but it's really not that bad and has been working for me since last July. Also be sure to use the soapy solution on the sidewalls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.