Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for new wheels for a steel hardtail that I will be getting soon. I am a big rider (250lb) and I am looking for a good strong ring that's not a boat anchor. I will be riding trails on it in additon to riding our local indoor park (www.raysmtb.com) where I will do a little jumping and the occasional drop (3'-5' to tranny at most). I am thinking the XM819 would be fine for trail riding, but I am not sure about the park riding, any thoughts? The EX823 is a good bit heavier, which I am willing to do if it's worth it. I am also thinking EX823 on rear, XM819 on front??? Thoughts?

TIA

def

·
Registered
916 Posts
Jwiffle said:
The XM819s are strong. I have done 8 foot to flat on them without trouble. But I do only weight 160 lbs. 823 on the rear and 819 on the front sounds like a good combination for you.
get the 819 and buy nice spokes and hub, they will be strong enough...

---------------------

Or 823rear with 819 front may also be a very good combo !

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 819's with XT hubs and 2.0mm spokes weight 1062.8 and 1252.6.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks...

Thanks for the info. I really wish Mavic had a better web site, it pretty much sucks. It would be nice to see what a wheel's intended use would be, XC, FR, DH, etc...

I think I might throw the DT Swiss EX5.1d into the decision. Weightwise, they are in between the 819 & the 823.....They are only a couple more $$ than the 819's from a local builder....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.