Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on spoke lengths for this 05 AC disc hub and xm819 UST Disc combo. I looked at the various spoke calc/SS and there is still some uncertainties about the lengths.

I would love to hear from anyone that has built wheels with the Mavic 3.1 or xm819 UST.

Using a ERD of 534.5 for the rim, how should i adjust for the special nipple holders that those rims require?
The DT site seems to hint that 16mm nipples are needed. Can anyone confirm that 12 or 14mm won't work?
The DT 'help' page mentions many adds and subtracts for lengths when using Mavic rims, without going to specifics.

I measured the hubs and came out with these #s.

FT:
100mm
58mm flange dia (spoke holes)
LF: 22mm, RT: 30mm (all from center)

RR:
135mm
66.2 flange dia
LF: 29mm, RT: 19mm

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If i win the lottery in the future, i'll keep you in mind and will buy you the bicycle of your dreams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
rensho said:
I'm trying to decide on spoke lengths for this 05 AC disc hub and xm819 UST Disc combo. I looked at the various spoke calc/SS and there is still some uncertainties about the lengths.

I would love to hear from anyone that has built wheels with the Mavic 3.1 or xm819 UST.

Using a ERD of 534.5 for the rim, how should i adjust for the special nipple holders that those rims require?
The DT site seems to hint that 16mm nipples are needed. Can anyone confirm that 12 or 14mm won't work?
The DT 'help' page mentions many adds and subtracts for lengths when using Mavic rims, without going to specifics.

I measured the hubs and came out with these #s.

FT:
100mm
58mm flange dia (spoke holes)
LF: 22mm, RT: 30mm (all from center)

RR:
135mm
66.2 flange dia
LF: 29mm, RT: 19mm

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If i win the lottery in the future, i'll keep you in mind and will buy you the bicycle of your dreams.
I have built many and have found that the ERD that is published by Mavic is to short.I made my own rim rods for these rim and concure with DT that the ERD is 538.If you use the shorter ERD the spokes are short but you do not know this because the spoke end is not viable .
By using your numbers Front left 258.7 ( 259 ) right 259.5 ( 260 )
Rear drive 257.3 ( 258 ) non drive 258.3 ( 259 )
If you are buying off the shelf spokes use the spoke lengths in ( xxx ) because off the shelf are cut 1/2 mm short of indicated on box.
As for nipples 12 mm is to short, DT or Wheelsmith, 16 mm is recommended. Mawie is the only one that makes 14 mm alloy nipples.
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thank you so much for a thoughtful and thorough response.
Those numbers are 2mm longer than what i came up with, which makes sense as the ERD you publish is 4mm more than what i used. Thanks also for the 12mm versus 16mm, as that could only come from experience.
I'm off to order spokes. Still torn about CX-rays. Want them, but kinda refuse to pay almost $3/spoke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
rensho said:
Wow, thank you so much for a thoughtful and thorough response.
Those numbers are 2mm longer than what i came up with, which makes sense as the ERD you publish is 4mm more than what i used. Thanks also for the 12mm versus 16mm, as that could only come from experience.
I'm off to order spokes. Still torn about CX-rays. Want them, but kinda refuse to pay almost $3/spoke.
CX-rays are not worth the extra cost,a DT or Wheelsmith double butt are just as good and a lot cheaper.
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
After buying 260mm spokes for the front, they proved to be too long. 258mm looks like it is working. I haven't fully tensioned the wheel yet.

Rears look to be 256mm. Haven't laced yet. Used 12mm nipples and seems fine.
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool Shig, thanks for the feedback. I was still a bit unsure on the rear length.

Did you get that special Mavic tool to tighten the mavic special nipples? Or did you use something else.

It was good riding with you when you were down here for SO. I was at the Demo ride riding a black Titus RX100. I drove with Big Larry.
 

·
No Justice = No Peace
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
What's up with measurements?

I just built up a set of x3.1 UST on white Industries hubs for my SS. I used the ERD off of the DT calculator, and the tech info from WI, plus measurements of the hub done by me and by my LBS. Still we come up short, err long.

When it was all laced up and true, the spokes were just that much too long. I could get the slack out, but I couldn't tension them. WTF. I hate having to buy spokes over and over!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Lutarious said:
I just built up a set of x3.1 UST on white Industries hubs for my SS. I used the ERD off of the DT calculator, and the tech info from WI, plus measurements of the hub done by me and by my LBS. Still we come up short, err long.

When it was all laced up and true, the spokes were just that much too long. I could get the slack out, but I couldn't tension them. WTF. I hate having to buy spokes over and over!!!!!
What WI hub are you using? and what are the numbers?
 

·
No Justice = No Peace
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Hub Specs....

Front is a racer X,

Center to Flange, 37.0
Flange Diameter 41
2 Cross Pattern, 16mm nipples

Rear is ENO eccentric
Center to Flange 32.5
Flange Diameter 48
3 Cross, 16mm nipples

The specs on the website differ from the specs that came with the front hub. Which contributes to the confusion. The numbers here are straight from the mouth of their tech support....

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Lutarious said:
32 holes, sorry bout that.

I have measured. These numbers seem right.
Using the wheelsmith calculator
ERD 538
Flange 41
Cen -Flg 37.5
Spoke # 32
Cross 2X
Spoke length 256.2
If you buy 257 mm the actual length is 256.5, this 3/10 mm will be no problem
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top