Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have similar problems as this: I have an 03 XLT 1.0 with a 600lbs rear spring and an extra firm kit in the fork (i'm a big guy at 210lbs, 6'1). The bike still bottoms out in the rear whenever I get more than 2 feet of air. The bike rides very stiff otherwise and has the right amount of suspension sag with hardly any preload on the spring. Is this normal? Also, the little bowtie brace on the rear triangle is hitting the seattube when it bottoms out. I was thinking about getting a file and shaving a little off of the brace so that it clears the frame-- will this work or will it keet hitting? Was this a design flaw in the frame, and is it normal for my bike to bottom out when just hitting little jumps? I thought the whole purpose of the XLT was to be able to do more aggressive stuff.
Other than this, I love the bike. It rides great and has taken a pretty good pounding. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Sentinel
530 Posts
I don't think 600 lbs is big enough...

I called Fox last year when I ordered my XLT 1.0, and they recommended a bigger spring that you're running. I weigh about 220 with gear, and they recommended a 750 lb spring for me, and actually were considering recommending an 800. In the end, I think the 750 was appropriate...it's been working for me without any problems since March of 2003.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts